Apophenia

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Apophenia

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:15 pm

• apophenia •

Pronunciation: æ-pê-fee-ni-ê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass

Meaning: A mental state in which someone finds rational patterns in random phenomena.

Notes: Here is a word exemplified admirably in the movie "A Beautiful Mind", directed by Ron Howard and starring Russell Crowe. It is a biographical film about Nobel-prize-winning MIT math scholar John Nash, who worked decoding messages for the CIA. He looked for real patterns at the CIA, but later went mad trying to connect random notes, newspaper articles, receipts, etc. The adjective for this word is apophenic.

In Play: Pareidolia, seeing shapes in unrelated objects, is a variant of apophenia. Pareidolia is perfectly normal, so can apophenia be normal? "I thought driverless cars was an idea born of apophenia until they became a reality." Here is another example: "People who claim to hear the voices of spirits in the static on tapes suffer from apophenia."

Word History: Apophenia was adapted from German Apophänie, a word created by psychiatrist Klaus Conrad in his monograph Die beginnende Schizophrenie "Incipient Schizophrenia" (1958). Conrad derived his word from Greek apophainein "to show by reasoning, to produce evidence", made up of apo "(away) from" + phainein "to appear, show". Apo comes from Proto-Indo-European apo "off, away", source also of Sanskrit apa "away, off", Latin ab "(away) from", Russian po "according to", German auf "on, in, at", English of and after, and Albanian pa "without". Phainein comes from PIE bhan- "to shine", which also became banan "to open, expose" in Armenian and Irish bán "white".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Apophenia

Postby Slava » Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:30 am

I wonder what the Armenians call the fruit. Or do they banan a banana? :lol:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:51 pm

Google translate says banana in Armenian is:

բանան
which is pronounced banan.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:46 pm

Apophenia puts me in mind of the Peanuts cartoon in which Charlie Brown and his friends are looking for patterns in the clouds. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTSDhMRTOs
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”