FOMO

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

FOMO

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:35 pm

• FOMO •

Pronunciation: fo-mo • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Anxiety of missing out on something exciting.

Notes: Today's word is an acronym (pronounceable abbreviation) and should be spelled in all lower case (fomo). It is listed in several dictionaries with the pronunciation above. So, it is a common noun now and should be spelled consistently with all other common acronyms, such as laser, sonar, and scuba. It isn't a proper noun like NATO, NAFTA, and NASA.

In Play: Here is the way this word should be spelled, consistent with its class: "Fomo is frequently mentioned as the blame for most of the participation in the January 2021 riot that briefly took control of the Capitol." Here is the way it is actually spelled today: "The popularity of Facebook is not based on FOMO, but the drive for self-expression and communication."

Word History: As an acronym, today's Good Word is based on the phrase 'Fear Of Missing Out'. It is what I call "lexical stock expansion", the addition of a new stem to the English vocabulary stock, not a derivation from one. Unfortunately, it is an anomalous, un-English formation unlikely to admit future derivations. Fear comes from Proto-Indo-European per- "to attempt, risk", which also produced German Gefahr and Dutch gevaar "danger". In Latin it came to be the root of periculum "danger", the ultimate origin of the English borrowing peril after the usual French adjustments. We also see it in pirate, borrowed from Latin pirata "pirate", which Latin borrowed from Greek peirates "brigand", the personal noun from peiran "to try, attempt".
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: FOMO

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:06 am

Well, it is a rather anomalous English word. English words ending on O are rare.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:33 am

Dear Dr Goodword
Hello, who says?

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:20 am

Thanks. You're right. It was late last night and I was hurrying to bed. I searched *o in Onelook and only only looked at the first page: also, hobo, robo, zero, radio. etc., etc.

Sorry about that. I'm usually more careful.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Fri Feb 05, 2021 5:00 pm

There are all those Spanish contributions to American English such as rodeo, patio, etc. I don't plan to use "fomo" but I will try to keep it in my word recognition vocabulary.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:32 pm

Philip, what I wanted TO DO was GO INTO the SO many all TOO common English words that have NO (or at least minimal) connection with French, Latin and Greek and that ALSO end in "O". I mentioned but TWO words of the type that the Good Doctor has from time TO time ALSO chosen TO refer TO as "authentic English words" as opposed TO relatively recent borrowings from other languages.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”