cracket

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

cracket

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:29 pm

• cracket •

Pronunciation: kræ-ket • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Footstool, low wooden stool. 2. Box on which miners kneel when working a low seam.

Notes: In Scotland this kind of stool is called a crackie-stool (crackey-stool) or just a crackie (crackey). This word is such a lexical oddity it wasn't allowed to procreate.

In Play: The first sense of this word is far more often used: "Randolph, bring me that cracket over there; I can't quite reach the top shelf in this cabinet." Crackets make good shoe rests when you're cleaning your shoes: "Randolph, you've cleaned your shoes so many times on the cracket, it's covered with mud."
Word History: In the 16th century you could stand on a cricket, for the word referred to a footstool as well as to an insect. The pronunciation of this sense of the word then migrated from cricket to creket, ending up as cracket. The original cricket might also have been borrowed from Old French criquet "cricket", from criquer "to creak", probably an onomatopoetic creation, which always signifies the end of the etymological trail. Since wood glues were not as good those of the present day, the cricket stool probably creaked itself, reinforcing the pronunciation of the word. The final shift to cracket may have also been influenced by dialectal Norwegian krakk "footstool" and Swedish dialectal krakk "footstool, bench". Another possible influence is English crackle, another onomatopoetic creation. (Now, let's all thank Mary Jane Stoneburg, an editor of the Good Words for almost 20 years, for recommending today's rare but still a very Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: cracket

Postby David Myer » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:46 am

Is this a cracket too?
IMG_3944.jpeg
IMG_3944.jpeg (74.33 KiB) Viewed 7666 times
Attachments
IMG_3945.jpeg
IMG_3945.jpeg (86.42 KiB) Viewed 7666 times

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:11 am

That's the best shoe shine box I've seen in a long long time!
Congratulations on your prize.
I would suggest YOU know if it creaks or not, certainly looks like it fits the definition.
Everything works out, one way or another

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:03 pm

In my dotage I am limited to a single step for reaching heights. I have one such stepstool and shall gladly christen it Cracket.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:27 am

Send a photo, Philip!

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:35 pm

Is this a cracket too?
I haven't seen one of those in ages! :)

Return to “Good Word Discussion”