Calender

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Calender

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:32 pm

• calender •

Pronunciation: kæl-in-dêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A machine designed to make paper or cloth slick or glossy by pressing it through rollers.

Notes: No, we haven't misspelled calendar. Today's word is the most common misspelling of calendar, but it is a word itself, only a different one. This word may be used as a verb, to calender, with all the various forms of a verb: calenders, calendering, calendered. This makes a personal noun possible: calenderer.

In Play: Whatever you do, do not spell calendar calender; it may mislead people who know the difference: "What a lovely sheen this material has; it must have passed through the calender several times." This word also applies to processing paper: "This paper is too rough; it would have benefitted from a calender."

Word History: This surprisingly interesting word comes from Medieval Latin celendra (later yet calendre), a derivative of Classical Latin cylindrus, which English borrowed as cylinder. Latin got this word from Greek kylindros "roller, cylinder", which comes from the same source as English wheel. In Old English we meet this word as hweogol, which soon became hweal. You can figure it out from there. Hint: the letters WH are pronounced [hw] in English. (We are happy that Jeremy Busch was not thrown off by the spelling of calender and discovered another absolutely fascinating Good Word.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Calender

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:28 pm

And then there is colander. A perforate bowl for straining food. I can't imagine cooking without one. And I do cook whenever the mood strikes me. My dear wife wishes I would get in the mood more often.
That reminds me of one of my favorite musicians, Glenn Miller. He played a number called "In the Mood." Listen at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2aqHGaSxRI
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Apr 10, 2021 9:00 pm

Glen Miller's "In the Mood" brings back a lot of fond memories. I was in a jazz band, 5-7 pieces, back in the 50s and that was one of the song we did, trying to sound as much like Glen Miller as we could.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:30 am

What was your instrument Dr. Goodword? I played oboe baritone sax and drums in high school and college. I was not the best instrumentalist. Tex Beneke kept the band afloat for a while after Miller died. You can hear his band at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfFthmUUzvI Neil Darnell, who was choirmaster of First Baptist Church Wichita Falls in the 1960s played Trumpet for Beneke. I was honored to be in Neil's choir. Usually church choirs take anyone who wants to sing. Neil had tryouts, a select membership and applicants waiting in the wings. I made it in one tryout. Neil took his trumpet with him and played it while conducting the choir. He was following the example of the famous Homer Rodeheaver who played his trombone while directing his choir. You can hear Rodeheaver and see him with his trombone on a very old recording at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAgun-X58kE

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:49 am

I transferred from a rural high school to Fayetteville High School in my sophomore year. I had had two years of piano lessons. The Catbird Combo was playing high schools and noncommissioned officer's clubs at Fort Bragg, NC. The pianist was a beautiful senior girl who wanted to be vocalist for the group but had been frustrated by the dearth of jazz pianists in the Fayetteville area. When I arrived and let it be known that I played piano, I was approached by the leader, Billy Latham, who proceeded to convince me that doing jazz was easy. They were doing sheet music at the time, which is rather easy for the piano.

So, now we had a vocalist. We rehearsed often, until I was familiar with the repertoire, so off we went. The next year, my junior year, we switched to professionally arranged sheets that only gave guitar chords and a melody line. I had to fill in the piano chords, which by that time I could do.

One night that year, to everyone's--even my--surprise, I suddenly heard something come out of my fingers that we hadn't rehearsed and, so far as I remembered, I had never heard. David Gulledge, the trumpeter, turned around and, in a surprised voice, asked, "Hey, Beard! Where'd you learn that?" My response was, "I didn't".

I knew from that moment on that I had become a jazz pianist. In college I had a few opportunities to play but graduate school erased all my jazz instincts. Since retirement, I've tried to revive them, but to no avail.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:14 pm

This has been a delightful expedition.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:10 pm

Indeed it has. I particularly enjoyed the Rodeheaver recording :)

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:16 am

I agree, too, with all said. I wish there could be more like this. This was my intention when I installed the Agora.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”