Enthuse

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Enthuse

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed May 26, 2021 6:40 pm

• enthuse •

Pronunciation: in-thuzHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To positively excite, make enthusiastic, eager to do something. 2. Talk excitedly and approvingly (about).

Notes: This word was long frowned upon by English-language purists, but now it is listed in all the respected dictionaries. The noun expressing the quality produced by this verb is enthusiasm and the adjective, enthusiastic. Someone enthusiastic about something is an enthusiast.

In Play: Today's Good Word may be transitive and take a direct object: "Music enthused him, woke him up in the morning and lulled him to sleep at night." It may also be intransitive but, if so, it requires the preposition about with an object: "The dinner wasn't anything to enthuse about, but the conversation was sparkling and titillating."

Word History: Today's Good Word was produced by linguistic process of 'back-derivation'. This process involves the misanalysis of an underived word as a derived one. In this case, the last four letters of enthusiasm were mistaken for the suffix -ism and was removed to produce this verb. Enthusiasm is a modification of Late Latin enthusiasmus, borrowed from Greek enthousiasmos "inspiration, frenzy". The Greek word is a noun from enthousiazein "to be inspired by a god", from entheos "full of god, inspired", comprising en- "in" + theos "god". The Greek word theos comes from PIE dhes-, a word associated with religion. Latin turned it into festus "festive, joyful", originally referring to religious holidays. French turned this word in to fête, which English borrowed as fete. (Yet another 'thank-you' to wordmaster extraordinaire Albert Skiles for bringing yet another fascinating Good Word to our attention.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Enthuse

Postby Slava » Wed May 26, 2021 7:52 pm

As this is accepted, does that mean that one who enthuses is an enthuser, engaging in enthusing? Could we then go on to see someone who enthuses enthusiastically be called an enthusist who preaches enthusism? :shock:
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:58 am

Sports enthusiasm sometimes hark back to the root of being possessed by a god. A sports fan is a fanatic about sports. Then there is the sports buff. I have discussed the word buff previously in this forum. It and a myriad of other similar words all come from the American bison, commonly called the buffalo.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:42 am

I do think that enthuse as a verb is a useful addition - even if it is frowned on by purists. When I enthuse someone I do more than encourage them, I get them excited too. I don't think there is another word for this verb in English. If you find disapproving purists, send them my way for a brief discussion. I'll sort them out.
Last edited by David Myer on Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:31 pm

Attaboy! David. Is this just a USA phrase? In the USA you can collect them and each Attaboy cancels one profane explicative you have been undeservedly served. :lol:

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:01 am

Splendid, Philip. We don't use the term Attaboy here in Australia, but I am an avid collector. And sadly the issuance of profane explicatives against me far outweighs the issuance of Attaboys. Yours is desperately welcome.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:10 am

Attaboy! Attaboy! Attaboy! Attaboy! ----- Attaboy! :D

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:12 am

That'll do nicely.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”