Repartee

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Repartee

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu May 27, 2021 9:53 pm

• repartee •

Pronunciation: re-pahr-tay, re-pêr-teeHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. The back-and-forth of conversation. 2. A quick reply or response, a retort.

Notes: All dictionaries define this word as "witty", but if you mean witty repartee you have to use the word witty to distinguish it from dull repartee. Google came up with 359 instances of the latter phrase as compared to 165,000 of the former. This noun may be used as a verb, as 'to repartee with the best of them'.

In Play: Far more often repartees are witty, but not all repartees are: "Gladys's command that her son clean up his room resulted in some rather sharp repartee." It can even be dull: "Visconti says Bolan 'could have been a stand-up comic', but he must be referring to the hilariously wide lapels on his suits rather than the dull repartee here" (The Guardian, 9-9-2001).

Word History: Today's Good Word was borrowed from French in the 17th century. It almost copied French repartie "prompt reply or conversation characterized by such replies". The noun was copied from the past participle of repartir "to reply promptly". Repartir comprises re- "back, again" + partir "to depart". Partir was inherited from Latin, partire "to divide, separate", from par(t)s "part, share". Latin created its word from PIE perê- "to allot, share", which seems to have only made it to Latin and its Romance descendants. We see evidence of this in the English borrowings, part, parcel, participate "take part in", party, parity and portion. (Now a gracious bow to a wordmaster extraordinaire [since 2005], Grand Panjandrum William Hupy, for finding today's fascinating if often misdefined Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Repartee

Postby David Myer » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:46 am

Not far from the other day's other French word, Badinage. But certainly a little different in some respects.

I did once overhear a loud conversation between a sales manager and one of his sales team who had returned to the office late from lunch having had a haircut.

"What do you mean having your haircut during working hours?"

"Well my hair grows in working hours."

"Yes but not all of it."

"Well I didn't get it all cut off."

Repartee rather than badinage I suspect.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Repartee

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:00 am

Badinage BAD. Repartee GOOD. David's example is a case of both and funny!
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”