Asafetida

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Asafetida

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:44 pm

• asafetida •

Pronunciation: æ-sê-fe-di-dê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Any of several plants of the genus Ferula in the parsley family. 2. Hing, the dried, usually powdered or lumpy, strong-smelling gum from the roots of these plants, used in cooking and folk medicine.

Notes: The British spelling of this word is asafoetida. No matter the spelling, it has remained a lexical orphan without derivational family.

In Play: Asafetida is occasionally used as a herbal medicine: The book of herbal medicine mentions some herbs that can help lower flatulence: asafetida, cumin seed, and winter savory." It is most often used in Indian cooking: "Asafetida gives dishes a super-savory element otherwise lacking in South Indian fare, which is almost exclusively vegetarian."

Word History: Today's Good Word comprises asa "gum, mastic" + fetida "stinky". Asa is a Latinized form of Old Persian aza "gum, mastic", so they say. I could not verify this in any Persian dictionary, and I don't know Persian myself. The history of fetida is hardly less hazy. Some etymologists have speculated that the origin of this word is the same as that of fimum "dung" and fumus "smoke". If so, the PIE ancestor is dheu- "smoke, dust", source also of Sanskrit dhumah "smoke", Russian dym "smoke", Lithuanian dūmai "smoke", Latvian dūksts "quagmire, swamp". The semantic connection between "smoke" and "stink" makes this origin quite possible, but the phonetic problems remain. (Now, a round of applause for returning newcomer Susan Maynard for today's worthy medicinal and culinary Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Asafetida

Postby bbeeton » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:07 pm

I first encountered asafoetida in a Portuguese grocery in Providence. (Yes, that was the spelling on the jar label.) It was something of a surprise when it was introduced at a cooking class at a local Indian restaurant.

But at that cooking class, instructed by the owner, a native of (I believe) Delhi, the pronunciation was æ-sê-fe-TI-dê.

At any rate, when used as appropriate, it "adds spice" in a welcome manner to the dish.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:17 pm

I don't think we'll find it around here, but I am going to try.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

damoge
Senior Lexiterian

Postby damoge » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:50 am

I missed the pronunciation guide completely. I have never known this substance by any other name than that suggested by bbeeton.
Interesting.
I had likewise never seen any other spelling than with the "o" in the third syllable, and find it hard to pronounce it without that in there...
ass a fuh TEE da would be closer to what I hear when I see it.
Our minds do play tricks.
Everything works out, one way or another

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:09 am

Asafetida is definitely used in folk medicine. My sainted Grandfather was very concerned about my health when I was a child. He once took me to a curador of some local repute who prescribed wearing a small bag of asafetida hung around my neck. I strongly objected.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:43 am

Now Phil, if you had known more about Native Americans in those
days you'd have known a medicine bag was part of their culture.
You can see it in all the movies. You would have fit right in.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:03 pm

Mestizo curadors were [and perhaps are] an influential force in south Texas culture. However the curador I mentioned above was an African American. Mestizo curadors were also religious leaders and were the bane of the Church [Catholic and Protestant]. They were much like the Haitian voodoo priests of today. There is a population that is Christian on Sunday and pagan during the week. South Texas is dotted with shrines to the curadors with candles burning bright.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:17 pm

That I did not know. I appreciate it. Syncretizing religions
is popular lots of places. We had an athiest state legislator
who, back in the 80's was pushing for the state to pay
student athletes, still is for that matter. And his comment
(repeated today in our local news rag) is " In this state
football is god and the coach is its prophet."
It is so curious how so many takes there are on all of this.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 pm

There is a lot of syncretizing going on. I may get some disagreement on this but witness the Masonic Lodge and its "architect of the universe." And yet many Christians are Masons. When my sainted grandfather embraced the Christian faith, he resigned from the lodge and the KKK. He was wont to say the two were composed of the same men who wore different costumes to the meetings. [leather aprons and white sheets]

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:02 pm

Bless your grandfather, he was so right.
Cannot be on both sides of the fence, be hot or cold, not
lukewarm.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”