Scratch

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Scratch

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:29 pm

• scratch •

Pronunciation: skræch • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To rub the nails, claws, or another abrasive object gently over the skin to relieve itching. 2. To score or make a shallow cut or cuts on a surface. 3. To make a harsh scraping sound, as 'to scratch a blackboard'. 4. To eke, as to 'scratch a living from a small farm'. 5. To cancel, remove, or withdraw, as 'to scratch the third event of a sport competition'.

Notes: Scratch is an authentic (not borrowed) English word with a rich complement of derivations. Someone who scratches or a tool for scratching is a scratcher. Something that can be scratched is scratchable; if not, it is unscratchable. An object without scratches is scratchless. The present participle, scratching, is used for the regular action noun and adjective.

In Play: Since today's word has so many common meanings, let's focus on the last two metaphorical uses: "In the mid-1800s people scratched a bare existence soaking up surface oil around Oil Creek in Pennsylvania." The fifth sense above may be heard in expressions like this: "The three-legged race was scratched because of a pouring rain."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a blend of late Middle English scrat "scratch" + cratch(e) "to scratch". Scrat seems to be Proto-Indo-European. It turns up in several Indo-European languages without the initial PIE Fickle S: Swedish kratta "to rake" and Spanish gratar "to polish". We also find Italian grattare, French gratter, and German kratzen, all meaning "to scratch". Of course, these words implicate Middle English cratch(e), too. PIE had a word, (s)ker-/(s)kor- "to cut", which with metathesis could have let its meaning slip to "scratch". In English it ended up as shear and shred (which is close to scratch). A lot has happened to the PIE languages over the past 5000 years since PIE's existence. (Let's thank Maureen Koplow, whose first suggestion came out in 2006, for today's ordinary Good Word with the fascinating history.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Scratch

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:08 am

5 meanings and we've barely scratched the surface. I now have to scratch my itch and comment on two opposite-ish meanings; one means nothing, the other, something specific, i.e. money.

Bob Catt went drilling for oil but came up with scratch. Then he had to come up with the scratch to pay off his debts.

Isn't Scratch also a euphemism for the devil, too?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:15 am

Slava, your final reference is to the being usually referred to as "Old Scratch". In Dickens' "A Christmas Carol", there's a line "Old Scratch has got his own at last." that's spoken in reference to Scrooge's death.

I also wondered whether, etymologically, "score" is related, in the sense of an incised line intended to assist folding.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:57 am

It would appear most of those scr- words are related, and I'd bet onomatopoeic, to boot.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

waseeley@gmail.com
Junior Lexiterian

Postby waseeley@gmail.com » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:17 pm

Not sure if I missed it, but "scratch" can also being a noun meaning "nothing", as in "He started from 'scratch' and built a fortune".

Return to “Good Word Discussion”