Verse

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Verse

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:27 pm

• verse •

Pronunciation: vêrs • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: 1. To versify, to cast into verses, to write in verses. 2. To instruct, to inculcate, to familiarize by experience or study.

Notes: We know the verbal form of this word almost exclusively through the adjective well-versed. I cannot stand by idly while the other forms of the verb are lost. It is a regular verb with all the trimmings: an adjective and a noun with the same form as the present participle, versing, a past tense form identical with the past participle, versed, and a present tense form, verses.

In Play: Today's Good Word is a verb we should not leave behind: "Parents should verse their children in the art of living well." The level of versing is usually considered high, but versing can be low, too: "Barbie Dahl had not versed herself thoroughly in the demands of motherhood before she had her baby."

Word History: Today's Good Word came to English from Old French which, in turn, inherited it from versus, the past participle of vertere "to turn". Latin also derived versatilis "revolving, capable of turning to various tasks", which English borrowed as versatile once it had been smoothed off by French. It also came directly to English as -ward, as in toward "turning to", and inward "turning into". It also passed through Old Germanic to come to rest in English as wring and wrong. The semantic connection to wring should be obvious. The meaning of wrong comes from the sense of wine turning or turning off the straight and narrow. (Ed Sizemore seems well-versed in the intricacies of the English vocabulary, so we thank him for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Verse

Postby Slava » Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:33 pm

So, a career move to become a poet or teacher is a change for the verse?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Nov 21, 2021 8:14 pm

So now it's Barbie Dahl you are quoting, Dr. Goodword. It seems like you have a lot of girlfriends. I am a little jealous. :lol:
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:10 am

Ah, with Dr Goodword’s etymology, now I see the relationship of “verse” and “verso”. … to turn the page…. And “reverse” … to turn back

My next comment has to do with the pronunciation of unrelated words. I have observed that “verse” (one syllable) is now a frequent pronunciation of the word “versus” (historically pronounced as two syllables). This shift occurred in the last twenty years, and is mainly confined to people under the age of forty. The one-syllable pronunciation applies regardless of education levels, region or other socio-economic distinctions. Does anyone have any speculation on why this shift occurred?
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:53 am

"Barbie Dahl had not versed herself thoroughly in the demands of motherhood ..."
So, Good Doctor, did DADDY Dahl take note and compensate for the lack?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”