Wind-egg

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Wind-egg

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:45 pm

• wind-egg •

Pronunciation: win-deg • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. An imperfect egg, a cock-egg: one with a soft shell, missing yolk, addled, or much smaller than normal. 2. Anything empty, useless, worthless, or fake.

Notes: We also have fairy-eggs, eggs much smaller than other eggs laid by the same hen. This compound noun has been seldom used in the general vocabulary since the 19th century. Time to reinvigorate it.

In Play: In the literal sense, we could say: "I found two wind-eggs among the dozen I bought yesterday at the market." In the figurative sense, I would love to hear things like this: "Randy Gauntlet loves to talk about his exciting military exploits, but most of his stories are simply wind-eggs."

Word History: The best guess as to how imperfect eggs came to be called 'wind-eggs' is that they were originally called 'fart-eggs'. Since 'passing wind' is associated with farting, wind-egg was a euphemism for the original expression. Wind has cousins in all Germanic languages: German Wind, Dutch wind, Danish, Norwegian, and Swedish vind, and Icelandic vindur. We also see the remains of it in Latin ventus "wind", most of which English borrowed as vent. Russian has a non-nasalized version in their veter "wind"; the same with Lithuanian vėjas "wind". Egg was borrowed from Old Norse (Viking), which descended from PIE owyo-/oyyo "egg", source also of German Ei, Welsh wy, Latin ovum, whence ovary, Greek oon, and Russian yaitso, all meaning "egg". Modern words for "egg" in Scandinavian languages are Danish æg, Norwegian and Icelandic egg, and Swedish agg. The original Old English word for "egg" was ei, like Modern German Ei and Dutch ei.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Eileen Opiolka
Lexiterian

Re: Wind-egg

Postby Eileen Opiolka » Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:48 am

I know the figurative sense of this from the German Windei. One explanation I have heard is that the "Wind" refers to the Holy Spirit, i.e. fertilised by the breath of God. What do you think?
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windei

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:45 am

Sadly, Ich kenne nicht Deutsch. However, as the egg is not fertilized, I wonder how it is supposed to be fertilized by the Holy Spirit.

What does the Holy Spirit have to do with chickens, anyway? :?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:55 am

I think I might be the first to connect flatus with wind-eggs. I noticed the very stretched connection between the Holy Spirit and wind-eggs (no connection to wind, either, Slava) in several etymological treatments of this word. I wasn't impressed.

By the way, Monika Freund, who is not a subscriber to the Agora, mentioned in a contact e-mail the connection with German Windei, too. I also noticed the German word, but couldn't figure out how to bring it up in a relevant way in the Word History.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:19 am

I was quite interested in this one. I may have just led a sheltered life, but I haven't come across this one in my life in England or in Australia. I assume it is widely or relatively widely used in USA.

I certainly can't comment on or add to the etymology debate.

But I do have a general suggestion for our words of the day. The etymology happily delves into history but tends not to include dates or examples of early use - generally showing how the word has been adapted for other languages. This is often interesting but I do find myself asking, particularly about compound words like today's: When did the compound itself first appear and in what context? I would certainly find that part of the etymological story at least as interesting as the PIE roots of the components.

Is this a suggestion for heaps more work by the compilers? I don't want to make the thing burdensome. But do others share my interest?

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:11 pm

I will keep your comment in mind in future. The weakness in etymology is that we have only published evidence for the history of the word. Words are spoken long before they make it to print, so the original context is difficult if not impossible to ascertain.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:13 pm

This discussion puts me in the mind of a time when my cousin John was working near our friend David Myer’s bailiwick, Australia. John informed me by e-mail that his neighbor called himself a Cockney and he wanted to know what a Cockney was. Aghast that John, with the brain of a genius, should ask this, I elucidated, yea pontificated on the subject. After discussing Caxton’s essay on eggs, I delved into the nursery rhyme of “oranges and lemons” and at last arrived at the assertion that Cockney was a Cock’s egg, a rooster’s egg, something totally useless. Upon passing this on to his neighbor, said neighbor took umbrage and declared that should I happen to appear in Australia, he would cut out my guts and strangle me with them. Although this was years ago, John has long since castoff this mortal coil, and so might have the neighbor, I fear the retribution that might come from an irate Cockney on the southern rim of Australia should I come into his presence. So what! I am chicken.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”