Raiment

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Raiment

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:36 pm

• raiment •

Pronunciation: ray-mênt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Mass noun) Clothing, apparel, usually unusually beautiful. 2. (Count noun) A garment or article of (fine) apparel.

Notes: Today's Good Word is presented in many dictionaries as a simple synonym for clothing, but the beauty of the word itself usually conveys the sense of extremely fine clothing. It may be used as a mass noun like apparel with no plural (She arrived in raiment fit for a queen) or as a count noun like garment (Her finely fashioned raiments stunned everyone in the room). It may also be used as a verb.

In Play: The first sense of today's word is physical clothing or apparel: "Maude Lynn Dresser attended the party in raiment that raised every eyebrow in the house." However, the same metaphors that apply to apparel work even more beautifully with this word: "The maple trees in their raiment of red and gold slowed traffic down to a crawl."

Word History: Today's Good Word is rather the score of a lexical tennis match between Germanic and Romance languages. It is based on a Germanic word borrowed by Latin, passed on to Italian, borrowed by French and returned, at last, safe if not sound, to a Germanic language, this time English. Most recently this word arose by shortening Middle English arayment "clothing", borrowed from French araiement. French inherited its word from a Vulgar (Street) Latin word we can no longer find or borrowed it from Italian arredare, which now means "to furnish". The Latin word came from ad "(up) to" + redare, a word that must come from the Germanic stem raed-, also the source of English ready. The original verbal meaning, therefore, would seem to have been "to ready up", a sense that slid very comfortably into "to dress". (Let us all now raiment Joe Heckel with our warmest gratitude for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Raiment

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 pm

I do believe that here is the only place I have ever encountered raiment as a verb.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:54 am

Me too. I suppose an example might be "She raimented herself with haute couture". In the same way as "She clothed herself..." I don't like it. And I don't think it will catch on! I will continue to use it solely as a noun.

Incidentally, I am sure that somewhere I have come across ...ragged raiment...
And it certainly has a biblical feel. Does it not appear frequently in the KJVersion?

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:21 am

Incidentally, I am sure that somewhere I have come across ...ragged raiment...

For instance: https://rc-dewinter.pixels.com/featured ... inter.html

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:35 pm

"ragged raiment"
how the mighty show they have fallen ?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”