lea, ley

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

lea, ley

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:43 pm

• lea, ley •

Pronunciation: lee, lay • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Flat, grass field suitable for grazing, a pasture. 2. Any flat, arable but untilled land.

Notes: Here is another word used so seldom we haven't even decided how to spell or pronounce it. In the US, lea, with the two pronunciations above, is preferred. Elsewhere it is spelled ley or lay.

In Play: This word usually refers to flat meadowland: "The stream ripples through the wood and by the lea with its lowing herd and onwards to Heaven knows where." Ley farming is not growing grain on a field but allowing it to lay fallow as a ley every so many years: "Some progressive farmers alternate grain fields with leys for grazing cattle every four years."

Word History: In Old English today's Good Word was leah "open grassy field, meadow", from earlier læch. Leah continues to be a lovely feminine given name; Lee is of the same progeny. These words descend from PIE leuk-/louk- "light, bright, shine", source also of Sanskrit lokah "open space, world," Czech louka "meadow", and Lithuanian laukas "field, plot". So, open spaces were perceived as bright compared to woods. The [k] in PIE became [kh] in Germanic languages, usually spelled GH in English and always CH in German. Notice the [kh] sound often developed into [h] as in the Old English version of today's word (leah), which has a habit of disappearing in English. So, English light underwent this process, too, but not German Licht "light". Latin lux [lucs] "light", Greek leukos "shining, white", and Russian luč "beam, ray" are all derived from the same PIE word. (Today's is yet another lovely Good Word from Susan Maynard, her twelfth since joining our merry band of contributors in 2019.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: lea, ley

Postby Slava » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:13 am

I meet lea in crossword puzzles all the time. I think it's a filler word, because of the vowels. Can't say I can recall ever coming across ley, however.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:53 am

I wonder if today’s good word is related to the expression “lay of the land.” Interesting as that speculation may be, I think it’s just coincidence. “Lay of the land” probably endures because of its appealing alliteration.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:16 pm

Ley is known to me via Willy Ley, a proponent of rocketry and space exploration. Born in Germany, his professional life was spent mostly in the U.S. His writings include both science history and science fiction. A crater on the far side of the moon is named for him.

But any etymological association is almost certainly coincidence.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”