Passel

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Passel

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:34 pm

• passel •

Pronunciation: pæs-êl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A lot (of), a large group (of). 2. A large amount.

Notes: Today's is an interesting word that demonstrates how a mispronunciation of a common word can be the genesis of a new word (see Word History). Today parcel and passel are two entirely different words. Although the mispronunciation has been around at least since the 1460s, only in a few regions of England and, mostly, the southeastern US is the new form used. Remember the E comes before the L in this word.

In Play: We generally think of parcels as small packages, but its mispronunciation refers to large amounts: "You'll find yourself in a passel of trouble if you criticize my wife's cooking." Apparently, the meaning originally referred to several as opposed to one item, but now it can refer to countable and uncountable things but always in large amounts: "Al Falfa has a passel of collards in his garden this year, but his okra didn't get enough rain."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a corruption of parcel. It began its life in Middle English, borrowed from Old French parcelle, the descendant of Latin particula "little part, particle", the diminutive of pars, partis "part". The same root suffixed, originally par-tion-, became Latin portio(n), which is behind our noun portion. It also underlies party, in all its senses, an interesting etymological ride in itself, for which we have no time or space here but will return to some day.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Re: Passel

Postby George Kovac » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:09 am

Yes, a complicated and fascinating etymology and extended family of related words with distinct and somewhat contradictory meanings. We have the phrase “part and parcel” (meaning “essential” or “quintessential”) which combines two descendants of the root word into yet another meaning.
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:07 pm

This is one of my favorite red neck words. It is used often here in the hinterlands.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:55 am

Paula Ward, the Celtic Princess, shared this story with me about passel back in March.
Love this one! My Kelley family settled in the Blue Ridge Mountains in the 18th century, and my grandparents still spoke the way their ancestors spoke. "Passel" was just one of the words I remember Grandma Kelley saying. I've always felt that they did, in fact, use many words or versions of English spoken during Shakespeare's day, even though I know that has been disputed. I found a wonderful little book a few years ago, written in "mountain dialect" by Alfreda Marion Peel: Witch In The Mill, printed in 1947 by the Virginia Book Company.

I've always been fascinated by dialects and local speech patterns probably because my mother was from Manhattan, New York, and my father was from Floyd County, Virginia. I grew up witnessing - and living in - two different cultures, listening to words spoken in different accents. Today, I wish I had a tape recording of the conversation that occurred in the 1950s when my Nana, from New York, visited my Grandma Kelley, on the farm in Floyd County. Neither could understand what the other was saying!

See what memories you've triggered?!
Thank you!
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”