Schism

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Schism

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:10 pm

• schism •

Pronunciation: ski-zêm, si-zêm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A cleft, split or division between two irreconcilable groups, like the Great Schism, the breach in the Catholic Church between the western (Rome) and eastern (Constantinople, Orthodox) branches in 1054.

Notes: However you pronounce this word, it is spelled schism. The adjective for this word requires the Greek suffix -at, schismatic. Like many adjectives ending on -ic, it may be further extended by meaningless -al, schismatical. As usual, we MUST use the extended form for the adverb, schismatically. Schismatic works as well as a noun referring to someone who supports a schism. The verb meaning "split apart" is schismatize.

In Play: We find schisms everywhere: "The schism between the X-generation and the old generation is wide, indeed." But the word is used mostly in reference to organizations where a division of opinion exists: "The schism between the Democratic and Republican parties' view of politics has never been wider than today."

Word History: English borrowed this word from Latin schisma, borrowed from Greek skhisma, the noun for the verb skhizein "to split". Greek built its word from PIE skei- "to cut, split", source also of Latin scindere "to slit", a noun from which is scissor "a carver", borrowed by English for its scissors. German converted the PIE word into schneiden "to cut", and Lithuanian into skaidyti "to divide, separate". The same PIE root made its way through our Germanic ancestors to Old Norse as skidh "board, stick, snowshoe" and on down to Norwegian ski. Old English made two words out of it: sceath "sheath", and scitan "to defecate", which worked its way into the grand band of current Modern English four-letter words. (Now a bow to Anna Jung for recommending today's rather divisive Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Schism

Postby Debbymoge » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:37 pm

I am so glad you brought up scissors. For weeks now I've been wondering about "scissors" and "pants" and why they are each a "pair of". I could visualize two leggings that were separate pieces, pulled on and tied at the waist perhaps, but while I have scissors that come apart for cleaning (and of course, also, at the most inconvenient times unintended), I can't imagine that they were not always joined in some way in earlier times.

Any help on this most gratefully accepted.
Debby
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:35 pm

A wide-spread feature of Indo-European (if not other) languages is to represent anything made up of two identical or mirror-reflected images in the plural. I remember a conversation with my neighbor who came over one day and we had a short conversation much like this. He wanted to borrow my "hole-digger". I told him I didn't even know if I had "hole-diggers". He replied that he had seen me once using my "hole-digger". I said, "Oh, hole-diggers". Yes, I do have a pair of them." So, the rule isn't hard and fast and dialect may play a role. He was a northerner and I am a southerner.

English seems to have made this into a lexical rule: glasses, pliers, clippers, shorts, trousers are other examples. In German, die Brille "the glasses" is singular; on the other hand ochki "glasses" in Russian and French lunettes are plural nouns. So, elsewhere this doesn't seem to be such a rule. I haven't done any real research into the issue, so this reply if off the top of my head.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:28 pm

Thank you so very much.
I guess there is just no accounting for the variety and vagaries of thought processes.
While I do enjoy trying to "figgerit" (my business partner said that was my work title), I do so much MORE enjoy having someone with more information and expertise leading me farther down the path to real answers.
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”