Mettlesome

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Mettlesome

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:42 pm

• mettlesome •

Pronunciation: med-êl-sêm • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Of strong mettle, having unbreakable spirit, strong of mind and spirit. 2. Brave, courageous.

Notes: I know what you are thinking: this word should mean "nosey, interfering." No, whatever you do, do not confuse this word with meddlesome (or nettlesome "irritating" for that matter). Today's Good Word has to do with our mettle, the stuff our character is made of. It is the adjective of the noun mettle—not to be confused with metal, even though it is little more than a variant spelling of that word (see Word History). Of course, we must also dodge medal and meddle when using this word. (Whew! Is speaking English worth it?)

In Play: Keeping all these words separate poses quite a problem even for native speakers: "Riley received a medal for showing his mettle on the battlefield." He probably spent his time dodging metal shrapnel rather than meddling in other people's business. Mettle is required at all levels of human endeavor: "Now that Farnsworth has two children, we will see how mettlesome he really is."

Word History: It is no coincidence that mettle and metal look similar and sound the same; in fact, they were originally the same word. Metal was borrowed from Old French in the 14th century. The French inherited it from Latin, which borrowed it from Greek metallon, which originally meant "mine, quarry" but meant "ore, metal" by the time Latin borrowed it. In the 16th century metal took on a second meaning in England, "the stuff one is made of, one's character". The spelling always varied but it was only in the 18th century that the new meaning attached itself to an alternate spelling mettle. Here we see a hidden advantage in the inconsistencies of English spelling.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Mettlesome

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:38 pm

A very good Good Word. I think I can introduce it to the folks in the hinterland. Many of my neighbors have a strong mettle.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:27 pm

Just be sure to be tactful in your introduction, lest you come across as meddlesome. :)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:46 am

Meddlesome is my middle name. :D

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:08 am

Well, then, put your meddle mettle pedal to the metal and keep on truckin'! :mrgreen:

PS: does anyone know just who that Mr. Green smiley thing is?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:35 pm

Yes, an excellent example of why "simplification" of English spelling should be resisted! Too bad old Noah Webster isn't around to be accosted with this word.

(Just catching up after a week of electronic deprivation; I managed to fry the fan in my laptop. How nice to come back to such a fine selection.)

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:57 am

I suspect, bbeeton, that you take upon yourself too much blame. You were surely not responsible for frying your fan? It fell, rather than that "I dropped it", if you get my point.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:27 am

Actually, David, the fan *did* "fry" -- I failed to keep the beast in a position where it got enough air circulation, and it overheated. It let me know quite loudly, with squeaks and rattles, before setting off a quite piercing alarm.

As for dropping it, that happened to an earlier laptop, with no ill effects to the laptop, but the loss of a toenail (though fortunately the toe was not broken) that hasn't fully recovered after more than two years.

I should have pursued a career as a destructive tester. I live by Murphy's Law, and Murphy was an optimist. At least I'm usually able to explain the circumstances cogently, which is appreciated by the fixit persons.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:23 am

Great commentaries with many a repartee.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:01 am

Can you have 'a repartee', Philip? Isn't it that you engage in repartee? I'm not sure, but I don't think I have come across a repartee before.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:34 pm

David. I don't think I said I had a repartee. One does not HAVE one or TAKE one in any literal sense. One does create a repartee and engage in repartees. An exchange of witty remarks is usually a pleasant occupation.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”