Hodiernal

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Hodiernal

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:06 pm

• hodiernal •

Pronunciation: ho-di-êr-nêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. (Rare) Related to today (only), this day (only). 2. (Rare) Just for one day.

Notes: This is a rare word hardly ever used outside grammar, e.g. 'hodiernal tense', referring to an event occurring only today. If there were a noun, it would be hodiernality, like most adjectives ending on -al. This word comes with a partner, hesternal, meaning "related to yesterday (only)".

In Play: Mwera, a language spoken in Tanzania, has a hodiernal tense and Mwotlap, an Oceanic language spoken on the Pacific Island of Vanuatu, has a hodiernal future tense. If you ever need a rare word that means "today's", you might try this: "I read in the hodiernal newspaper that you've been promoted to Vice President of Union Busting at your company."

Word History: Today's Good Word was created from Latin hodiernus "of today, today's", the adjective for hodie "today", a reduction of the phrase hoc "this" + dies "day". We find the descendants of this Latin word in all Romance languages, including Spanish hoy, Portuguese hoje, Italian oggi, and French aujourd'hui, literally, "in the day of today"—all meaning "today". Latin inherited dies from Proto-Indo-European dyew- "to shine". We find dyew- in many words beyond dies: Latin deus "god" (today in French dieu), Welsh diw and Breton deiz "day", English day, Lithuanian dievas "god", Russian den' "day", and Polish dzień "day". We know the original meaning was "shine" because its oldest forms, the Sanskrit word dideti with a reduplicated prefix meant "shines", and dyauh meant "heaven". (Now a round of e-applause for Curtis Simple for discovering today's rare gem of a Good Word and sharing it with us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Hodiernal

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:15 pm

Does make some things a tad more awkward: "give us this day our hodiernal bread" just doesn't quite flow.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Hodiernal

Postby Debbymoge » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:54 am

Slava,
Try repeating that phrase several times a day. Once it is imbedded, it will start to sound a lot better.
I think, in fact, you'll find it's rhythm an improvement...
(just sayin')

Debby M
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”