Anglophone

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Anglophone

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:12 pm

• anglophone •

Pronunciation: æng-glê-fon • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, Adjective

Meaning: No, it isn't a telephone reserved for the English, or a telephone that tells you where the fish are running, but rather anyone who speaks English. You must be one yourself!

Notes: We have anglophobes, who hate us, anglophiles, who love us and, of course, anglomaniacs, who love us to distraction. We English speakers ourselves are anglophones simply because we speak English. You can replace anglo with franco for the French or French speakers (francophone) and russo for Russians or Russian speakers (russophone). Today's Good Word may or may not be capitalized.

In Play: Today's word more often refers to native speakers rather than to English language learners: "Although Dwight Mann lived in Italy for eight years, he never learned to speak Italian because he spent most of his time with other anglophones living there." Of course, others in the anglophone community probably spoke Italian quite well: "George is such an anglophone, he speaks the Queen's English, eschewing all Americanisms."

Word History: Today's word is a combination of Latin or Greek Angli "the English" + Greek phone "sound, voice". The name for the English comes from the area of Angeln, a hook-shaped peninsula protruding from Schleswig-Holstein in Germany into the Baltic Sea. Some of our ancestors migrated from there in the late 4th century, along with the Saxons, and Jutes, who came from Jutland. Phone, of course, is found in telephone, literally "distant sound", and phonology is the scientific study of linguistic sounds. Did you know that infant started out meaning "not speaking"? It comes from Latin in- "not" + fan(t)s "speaking", the present participle of fari "to speak", a distant cousin of Greek phone.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Anglophone

Postby bbeeton » Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:51 am

But Anglophiles love the English, not those who speak English. I know a few English natives who aren't too fond of those of us who grew up speaking English in the U.S., or, more often, the way we speak English in the U.S. (It's unclear to me how they feel about the English spoken in Australia, which is also natively anglophone.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:10 am

Are Anglo-, Franco-, and Russo- the only -phones? Perhaps Sinophone would work, though it seems limited to Wikipedia? Germanophone is also out there, though rare. Italianophone seems to be, too, though mostly in French. Wolofophone, Bantuphone, etc.

Well, now that I've looked on the internot, it seems many languages have -phone versions. They don't all flow as well as the 'main' 3, but it seems that you can ophone in any language.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:31 am

The "main" 3 may flow mainly because of their familiarity?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”