Anonymous

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Anonymous

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun May 08, 2022 5:49 pm

• anonymous •

Pronunciation: ê-non-ê-mês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Of unknown authorship or origin 2. Not named or otherwise identified, unrecognized, as for reasons of confidentiality. 3. Having no distinctive features, unremarkable, nondescript.

Notes: The adverb for this word is anonymously and the noun is anonymity ([æn-ê-nim-ê-ti]). To make a thing anonymous, we might anonymize it. Back in the late 19th century a petty, anonymous writer might be called an anonymuncule. I suppose we could call one that today.

In Play: We have plenty of good reasons to remain anonymous, but there are some bad ones, too: "Vote tabulators around the country are receiving anonymous death threats today." The most famous alcoholic rehabilitation society is known as 'Alcoholics Anonymous'. We find the third meaning in sentences like this: "Luke Warme lives in an anonymous, nondescript house on Whereabouts Street."

Word History: Today's Good Word was copied from Late Latin anonymus, which Latin copied from Greek anonymos "without a name". The Greeks created their word from a(n)- "without" + onyma, a variant of onoma "name". The origin of a(n)- has been explained elsewhere. Greek onoma was created from PIE no-men- "name", source of Latin nomen "name", English name, Swedish namn, Icelandic nafn, and German Name. It also came up in Sanskrit as nama "name", Armenian anun "name", Irish ainm "name", Russian imya, imeni "name", Serbian ime, imeni "name", Hindi naam "name", and Bangla, Gujarati and Punjabi nama "name". (Now let's all join together to thank newcomer Maureen Koplow for suggesting today's superficially anonymous Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

mkoplow
Junior Lexiterian

Re: Anonymous

Postby mkoplow » Mon May 09, 2022 12:23 pm

I'm so excited to see my word! Just a slight correction - I'm not a first time contributor. I think my first word suggestion was ATARAXIA, back in 2011. You might have missed it because you changed the o to a in my last name. How ironic that it was the word anonymous. Anyway, I have another suggestion. Back in high school, I had an English teacher who gave the class an extra credit question. He gave us the word DIAMOND as an example, and said there were 2 more instances of an internal alpha privative. No one in the class found them. I've always wondered what they might be, and I've also wondered if the word PRIVATIVE was related to the word PRIVATE. Thanks for always starting my day with such fascinating information. - Maureen KOplow

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat May 14, 2022 1:16 pm

"Internal alpha privative": has me wondering too.

Welcome, if no on offered it to you the first time!
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Sat May 21, 2022 9:50 am

Back in high school, I had an English teacher who gave the class an extra credit question. He gave us the word DIAMOND as an example, and said there were 2 more instances of an internal alpha privative. No one in the class found them. I've always wondered what they might be
See my suggestion in the 'Internal Alpha Privative' thread in the Etymology forum.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sat May 21, 2022 10:33 am

Audiendus,
How does one get to the etymology forum?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Debby
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon May 23, 2022 8:15 am

Good question Debby. You have a whole new exciting world ahead of you. Click on 'Board index' at the top left of this page and scroll down to Etymology.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon May 23, 2022 3:43 pm

Thank you, David. Will give it a shot as soon as I finish on here.
Always willing to try new things.

Debby

P.S. just wish I could remember how the new things work longer than about 20 seconds.
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:52 am

Is memory supposed to last longer than 20 seconds?

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:49 pm

David,
Did you ask a question?

Oh. I guess I should scroll down and see what it was?

Back again... ummm
I'll recheck...
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”