Hypocrisy

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Hypocrisy

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:45 pm

• hypocrisy •

Pronunciation: hi-pah-krê-si • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Feigning to be what you are not, pretending to have qualities or beliefs that you do not have.

Notes: Just remember that even though the first syllable sounds like hip, it is spelled with a Y and although the third syllable is a schwa, it is spelled I. The adjective is hypocritic(al) with an optional -al. The optional -al, even though not pronounced, must be spelled in the adverb: hypocritically. A person who is hypocritical is a hypocrite [hi-pê-krit].

In Play: Hypocrisy abounds all around us: "The old adage, 'Do as I say and not as I do', proves that hypocrisy is alive and well in the family." It occurs where we expect it and where we do not: "We all expect hypocrisy in politics but recent scandals in the Church prove it is at home there, too."

Word History: Today's Good Word was borrowed from Old French ypocrisie (modern French hypocrisie) and was originally spelled ipocrisi in Old English. The spelling with H arose in the 16th century. Ypocrisie was passed down to French from Latin hypocrisis, borrowed from Greek hypokrisis "stage acting, feigning, pretense". The Greek word comprises hypo "under" + krinein "to sift; decide, judge". Hypo is the Greek result of PIE upo "(from) under", source also of Latin sub "under" (from ex "[out] from" + upo), English up, and German auf "on", über "over" and ob "if, whether". Krinein was based on PIE krei-/kroi- "to sift, separate, divide", source also of Latin cribrum "sieve" and crimen "judgment, crime", Irish criathat "sieve", Welsh crwydr "sieve", and Russian kroit' "to cut out". (Now an unhypocritical round of e-applause for Eileen Opiolka, an unflagging contributor since 2009.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Hypocrisy

Postby David Myer » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:33 am

I was very surprised to read the Good Doctor's Meaning for this word. Without looking it up I would have said confidently that it meant not practising what you preach. But this is far removed from this Agora definition. I note that In Play does support my understanding of the word. Are these separate meanings both valid? And if so, how could they have evolved to mean such widely different things? The etymology supports the Agora meaning.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”