Doggerel

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Doggerel

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:36 am

• doggerel •

Pronunciation: daw-gê-rêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: Badly written verse, comical poetry.

Notes: Today's word is probably based on doggery, originally referring to a kennel, but later on "a disreputable drinking establishment" and ultimately "obscene language". Someone accused of writing doggerel is a doggerelist. We also have a verb doggerelize, meaning "to write doggerel" or "turn into doggerel".

In Play: Some of the most famous doggerel appeared on Burma Shave roadside signs from 1925 to 1963 which contained one line of doggerel spaced about 1/10 of a mile apart. Would you like an example? "Within this vale/of toil/and sin/ your head grows bald/but not your chin—use/Burma-Shave." "Another," did I hear someone ask? "No pushy/No pully/Smooth shavy/Feel bully/Burma-Shave."

Word History: Today's Good Word is based on doggery, as mentioned above. It clearly relies on the word dog. This word started out as Old English (OE) docga "hound", but by Middle English (ME) it was dogge "cur, (ordinary) dog". It is unlikely that the original docga was a diminutive meaning "darkie, duskie" from the adjective dox "dark, dusky", like OE frox "frog", ME frogga, as many dictionaries claim. The OE word was borrowed by other Indo-European languages like French dogue "mastiff", Dutch dog "mastiff", German dogge "mastiff", Russian dog "great dane". Other languages have words for "dog" that are just as mysterious as English dog: Spanish perro, Polish pies, and Serbian pas have no obvious PIE source, either. (Now yet another thank-you to Rob Towart for reading the bad poem that brought today's Good Word to mind.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Eileen Opiolka
Lexiterian

Re: Doggerel

Postby Eileen Opiolka » Mon Jul 18, 2022 11:04 am

A myterious word indeed. The Scottish Gaelic is just a mysterious: cù.

May I pass on the text on a recent greetings card received: Cat lovers will appreciate it.

Dogs have masters; cats have staff.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: Doggerel

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Jul 19, 2022 1:10 pm

Eileen, as a dog lover, I would reword that to
dogs have pals
cats have staff
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”