Lexicon

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Lexicon

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:40 pm

• lexicon •

Pronunciation: lek-si-kahn • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Dictionary, an alphabetical list of words with definitions. 2. Lexis, the total mental vocabulary of a language ('English lexicon') or sphere of activity, ('the lexicon of music').

Notes: This word is so apropos the Good Word series, I'm surprised it hasn't been investigated yet. The adjective, as we all know, is lexical. A lexiconist or lexicographer is someone who compiles dictionaries. A lexicologist is someone who researches words and vocabularies. Lexigraphy refers to writing systems like Chinese in which a word can be represented by a single character.

In Play: Today's word is a formal surrogate for dictionary, used mostly in reference to ancient languages: "H. G. Liddell and R. Scott's A Greek-English Lexicon is one of the best." However, it may also be used for specialized vocabularies: "Calico, gingham, organdy—Maude Lynn Dresser knows the entire lexicon of ladies fopperies."

Word History: Today's Good Word was borrowed from Greek lexicon (biblion) "word (book)", the neuter of lexicos "of words", the adjective for lexis "word, speech". Lexis was passed down from PIE leg-/log- "to gather". The decision to assign this word the meaning "to gather" was an attempt to reconcile the various meanings of its descendants: Latin legere "to read" and lex "law", Greek lexis and legein "to speak", and Serbian lek "medicine" and lekar "doctor". I can see how all these might have developed from the idea of speech. Anyway, we find it in English borrowings from Latin and Greek like today's Good Word, legislate, logic, lecture, and a word that worked its way down through our Germanic ancestors as leech, a form of ancient medication. (Now, let's give a round of e-applause to Maureen Koplow, a subscriber since 2006, who occasionally contributes Good Words like today's from her considerable lexicon.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lexicon

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 pm

I put words into my personal Lexicons to describe my acquaintance with them.
First is words not in any of my lexicons. I may guess what they mean or not care at the time. They may or may not advance into my recognized lexicon. My recognized lexicon holds words I have heard and sort of know what they mean. I wouldn't use one unless I looked it up in a dictionary. I might choose to promote one of these words to my lexicon of known words. These are words know but am very unlikely to use. They maybe too high falutin' [to use a word recently discussed in this forum] or I may just have a prejudice against them. next are words I use in conversation. Finally, there are technical or specialty words that I reserve for specific reading, speaking and writing.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Lexicon

Postby David Myer » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:50 pm

Wow, Philip. You are a real lexicographer and lexicologist all rolled into one!

Return to “Good Word Discussion”