Escheat

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Escheat

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:40 pm

• escheat •

Pronunciation: is-cheet, ish-cheetHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, verb

Meaning: 1. Legal reversion of ownership of property to the appropriate governmental authority when no legal heirs or other claimants exist. 2. Any property affected by escheat.

Notes: Here is a legal term not often encountered by the general public. It may be used as a verb referring to the action implied by an escheat, making the way for an adjective, escheatable "liable to escheat". An escheator is a governmental official who certifies escheats.

In Play: This word probably occurs most often as a noun: "Several types of property of suspected drug lords are made escheat upon arrest." However, it may be used as well as a verb: "When Ferdie died intestate and with no claimants to his fortune and estates, both were escheated to the government."

Word History: Today's Good Word was captured from Old French eschete "inheritance, demise", a noun made from the past participle of escheoir "befall, occur", the French retooling of Late Latin excadere "to fall out, away". Latin excadere is made up of ex "(out) from" + cadere "to fall", from PIE k'ad- "to fall", source also of the Latinate borrowings cascade and cadence. We also see remnants in Sanskrit sasada "fallen out", Armenian ts'atsr "low", Welsh cesair "hail", and Cornish keser "hail". (Now a note of gratitude to Susan Maynard, now a major contributor, for sharing today's fascinating Good Word with us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Escheat

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:14 pm

I have read this good word entry several times now. No one has commented. It sounds a lot like cheating, i hope each of my Good Word friends have a professionally written will.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Escheat

Postby David Myer » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:25 am

I wonder how big the government take is on escheats every year. Quite a nice little earner I suspect.

Thanks for the reminder Philip. I will make a will.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”