Alight

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Alight

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:10 pm

• alight •

Pronunciation: ê-laitHear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. Come down from or get off some means of transportation, as to dismount a horse, deplane. 2. Get on something, settle down on something, as a bird alights on a branch

Notes: This word is something of a contranym in that it means both "get off" and "get on". Remember, it is another of the words with silent GH. It is a lexical orphan.

In Play: In the sense of "get off", we might hear something like this: "Several people alighted from the train, but his wife was not among them." In the sense of "get on", we might hear something like this: "Myrtle loved to watch the colorful autumn leaves fall and alight on the still surface of the lake."

Word History: English has a verb light "to start a fire" and an adjective light "not heavy, almost weightless". Alight the adjective comes from the verb, and the verb alight (today's word) comes from the adjective. Alight in Old English was a-lihtan "lighten, get off (of)". Lihtan came via its Germanic ancestors from PIE legwh- "light, having little weight". We see much of this word in Sanskrit laghuh "quick, small", Greek elakhys "small", Lithuanian lengvas "light, easy", and Russian legkii "light". Latin levis "light" is a bit further away from the PIE original word. English lung is a nasalized form of legwh- since lungs are the lightest body organ. In fact, the lungs of animals are called lights in some dialects because their lungs float on water when cleaning their meat. (Now, we owe thanks to Professor Kyu Ho Youm of the University of Oregon, who raised it in a private e-mail conversation we had recently.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Alight

Postby bbeeton » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:08 pm

I'm not sure I've ever seen or heard "alighted". I learned "alit". Granted that was the middle of the last century, but my mother was a second-grade teacher, and didn't let her daughters get away with much in the way of unusual grammar.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Postby bnjtokyo » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:26 pm

Google's Ngram viewer says that in 2018, "alighted" represented 0.0001% of the corpus while "alit" was 0.000004%
A sample of "alighted" from 1982
About this time Terry Savaloja arrived and we approached much nearer with a recording and then the bird flew overhead and alighted perhaps 50-60 yards away.

There are no samples of "alit". Instead it seems to be part of the personal name of some Indonesian individuals. For example, Alit Djajasoebrata (note the first name) wrote "Flowers from Universe: Textiles of Java," Robert J. Holmgren translator and editor 2018

A link to the Ngram viewer
https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... moothing=3

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:04 am

Alit is also a favorite in crosswords for landed or got off. Too boot, alit isn't even in my spellcheck dictionary.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:54 am

Well Barbara, I think I like your Mum, even if her sticklership may have been misplaced on this one. I like her style.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”