Contretemps

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Contretemps

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:19 pm

• contretemps •

Pronunciation: kawn-trê-tawNHear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A disruption, an inopportune interruption, an unforeseen and unwanted imposition.

Notes: Today's Good Word is singular even though it ends on a silent S. In fact, the last syllable is still pronounced with a nasalized consonant (just pronounce [aw] with your nasal passages open). For the plural, you can add a [z] to the end of the pronunciation, but the spelling is never changed.

In Play: Outside fencing and dancing, where this word has specialized meanings, contretemps indicates an unpleasant interruption: "Slipping in the mud as he rounded second base was a contretemps that cost Casey his triple and a sprained ankle." Here is how the plural is handled in speaking and writing: "The fire and the earthquake were two contretemps the theater could not survive".

Word History: Today's Good Word is so fresh from French that it hasn't been adapted to English. Contretemps is the French word for "setback, mishap". Its original meaning is "offbeat", as the offbeat in a musical rhythm, so it is composed of contre "against" + temps "time, timing". Contre is the descendant of Latin contra, a word now referring to guerrillas friendly to the US. The same root turns up in English counter and contrary. Temps is the remains of Latin tempus, temporis "time", found in several English words, including temporary. (At this point we should offer gratitude to Lew Jury for suggesting today's word before some contretemps prevents us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Contretemps

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:59 pm

I have been getting contretempsz all my life but not known this good word. Next time I will shout it out.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”