Parlor

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Parlor

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Oct 14, 2022 4:08 pm

• parlor •

Pronunciation: pahr-lêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A drawing-room in a private home kept for entertaining visitors and special occasions. 2. A specialized business, like a funeral parlor, massage parlor, ice-cream parlor.

Notes: Remember that in British English this word is spelled parlour, like labour, colour, and flavour. This word is a unique lexical orphan. Except as the name of different types of businesses, the whims of fashion have almost carried it away.

In Play: Parlors are often special rooms with special furniture saved for special days and not used every day: "Sheila Blige always takes her boyfriends to the parlor to make out, because her parents would be less likely to catch them there." A 'parlor trick' is a piece of easily seen-through trickery: "Calling the inheritance tax a 'death' tax is a typical political parlor trick."

Word History: Today's Good Word has a long, long historical trail. It originated as French parloir "visitor's (talking) room, as in a hospital or prison, parlor". Parloir comes from parler "to talk, speak", which English also borrowed as parley. It presumably was a reduction of Vulgar Latin paraulare "to speak", itself a reduction of Late Latin parabolare "to speak in parables", a verb based on Classical Latin parabola "comparison, parable", the source, too, of English parable. The Latin word was borrowed from Greek, which created it by matching para "beside, near, along" + bole "throw, cast, beam". Bole came from PIE gwel-/gwol- "to throw, flow", which went into the making of Greek ballein "to throw" and ballizein "to dance", Sanskrit galati "drips, falls down", German Quelle "spring, source", English qualm and quell, and, perhaps, Dutch kwal "medusa jellyfish". (Now a show of gratitude to Wordmaster David Myer, a contributor since 2011, for today's simple but complicated Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Parlor

Postby bbeeton » Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:11 am

"Won't you come into my parlor?" said the spider to the fly.

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:09 am

It seems that Spanish palabra and Portuguese palavra , meaning "word", have the same origin.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:19 pm

and mathematical parabola?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:35 pm

The two sides in the gunfight never stopped to parley, lest
the other get the advantage.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:12 am

Under my original 'Good Word Suggestion' for this word, the Good Doctor has included a rather charming story which may amuse.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:16 am

And see also the coverage and discussion of the Good Word Palaver.viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8221&p=55837&hilit=palaver#p55837

Return to “Good Word Discussion”