Tump

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Tump

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Oct 23, 2022 5:08 pm

• tump •

Pronunciation: têmp • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: (Transitive) To knock or tip over, overturn; (intransitive) To fall over.

Notes: This word, according to most dictionaries that carry it, is supposed to be limited to the southern US states, originating in black dialects. I'm from North Carolina and I've never heard or read it there, so it must reside in the dialects of states farther south. It is a lexical orphan, wherever it is used.

In Play: This word seems a prisoner of the Deep South, Alabama, Mississippi, maybe Louisiana and Texas: "At the party Harvey Wallbanger put a lampshade on his head and stumbled around so much he tumped over the lamp he had taken his 'hat' from." It may be used intransitively, too: "Harvey continued to stumble around until he himself tumped over and fell on the couch."

Word History: Today's Good Word seems related to thump or tumble, but none of my etymological sources know where either of these words comes from. However, Sanskrit had a verb tumpati "pushes", which came from PIE (s)teu-/(s)tou- "push, hit" with a -p suffix plus nasalization, both common in PIE languages. Since [t] became [th] in Germanic languages, English thump certainly is a descendant of the same combination. Since in the rural US South the [th} sound is often reduced to [t], especially in the old black dialects, that is probably tump's immediate origin. We find the PIE word suffixed with -p but without the nasalization ([m]) in Greek tuptein "to hit" and, with the Fickle S, in stupos "stick, cudgel" and Latin stupere "to be stunned", and with both, in English stumble. English stump and stub, as in 'stump/stub your toe', could have come from the same source. (Today's Good Word was suggested by Anna Jung, who was "legit dying here" in Alabama finding so little about it in dictionaries.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Tump

Postby bbeeton » Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:19 pm

There's also the noun "tump", short for "tump line", a wide strap that attaches to an object and is placed over the top of the head or forehead to aid in carrying the object, often a pack or canoe. Anyone who has spent much time seriously traipsing about in the woods should know about this technique, and it isn't limited to the South. On the contrary, I usually associate its origins with the voyageurs.

HelenBrits
Junior Lexiterian

Postby HelenBrits » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:36 am

The word can also mean small hillock or defensive mound I believe in the UK. I used to go egg rolling down the tump in my aunt and uncles village

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:13 am

Who would uv thunk it!
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:25 am

I am interested in Helen's comment about the British meaning - small hillock. This is a new one on me (originally a Southerner), so I wonder whereabouts in UK this usage occurs? Where is your aunt and uncle's village, Helen?

So Tump is another in the curious series of rhyming words with similar meanings - hump, lump, bump, dump, rump, (even mumps? little swellings?) And what's a sump? Is it an inverted hump?

Return to “Good Word Discussion”