Codger

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Codger

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:09 pm

• codger •

Pronunciation: kah-jêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. (Mildly deprecative) Geezer, eccentric old man. 2. A term of endearment for a cute little child.

Notes: This word is so often used in the phrase 'old codger' that it has taken on the sense of "old" itself when referring to a man. A little codger is a cute child of either gender.

In Play: This word is so mildly deprecative that it is often used almost as a term of endearment: "Jerry Attrick is a daft old codger who doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground." It is certainly a term of endearment when used in referring to children: "The other day I saw a cute little codger, about two years old, sitting in a wheelbarrow and crying because he couldn't wheel himself."

Word History: Today's Good Word is a mispronunciation of cadger in the sense of "peddler, beggar". Cadger is the personal noun from cadge, itself probably a mispronunciation of catch in a class with botch - bodge and grutch - grudge. Beggars often had to catch coins tossed at them by passers-by. Catch originated as an English borrowing of Old North French cachier "to catch, capture", which it inherited from Latin captiare "chase, try to seize". Latin got its word from PIE kap- "to grab", source also of Sanskrit kapati "two handfuls", Albanian kap "catch", Latin capere, captus "to take, taken", Welsh caeth "captive", and Cornish keth "captive". Since PIE [k] became [kh] in Germanic languages, we are not surprised to find it behind German haben "to have", Dutch hebben "have", and English have after the reduction of [kh] to [h] in Old Germanic.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Codger

Postby Slava » Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:30 pm

I've never come across the use of this for a child. It's always just 'an old codger' in stuff I see or read.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Oct 27, 2022 10:58 pm

Since I shamelessly admit to being an old one, I must applaud the choice of this Good Word.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:11 am

No connection between codger and curmudgeon I suppose, but the two do often go together.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”