Invidious

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Invidious

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:46 pm

• invidious •

Pronunciation: in-vi-di-ês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Unpleasant, obnoxious, causing animosity. 2. Unfair, partial, discriminatory. 3. (Archaic) Envious.

Notes: This adjective has wandered far away from its original meaning, "envious", now archaic. It comes with an ordinary adverb, invidiously, and an ordinary noun, invidiousness.

In Play: This word no longer means "envy": "In the 1960s police were called by the invidious sobriquet 'pigs'." It only means what is included in Meaning above: "Putin is hoping for success, however invidious, of his inhumane invasion of Ukraine."

Word History: English borrowed this word directly from Latin invidiosus, and again from French after French had smoothed it out a bit to become envious. English, through the ages, has changed the meaning of invidious. Latin invidiosus is the adjective based on invidia "envy, jealousy", which ultimately became envy in English. Invidia was created from PIE en "in" + weid- "to see, to know", as when we say, "I see," meaning "I know". We find it in Sanskrit veda "I know", Greek oida "to know" (Doric woida), Latin video "I see", German wissen "to know", English wit and wise, Russian videt' "to see", Serbian videti "to see", Polish widzieć "to see" and wiedzieć "to know", Lithuanian įvaizdis "image", and Welsh gweler "to see" and gwedd "appearance". (Let's not invidiously forget to thank newcomer to our happy band of contributors, Bill McGrady, for finding such a surprisingly Good Word as today's and sharing it with us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Invidious

Postby Slava » Tue Nov 07, 2023 8:47 am

I wonder what people who use the movie editing service InVideo think of this word.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”