Plenipotentiary

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Plenipotentiary

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:44 pm

• plenipotentiary •

Pronunciation: pli-ni-pê-ten-chi-er-ri • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Invested with full authority, absolute power to negotiate in place of or represent a higher power.

Notes: This is a word most often associated with ambassadors, though negotiators of various sorts involved in international negotiations sometimes have it. It is usually a post modifier, as in 'ambassador plenipotentiary'. It is an extension of plenipotent and its noun plenipotency, less often used than today's word. It may be used as a noun referring to someone with full authority.

In Play: Plenipotentiary is more comfortable at the highest governmental levels: "The ministers plenipotentiary and envoys extraordinary arrived in Terai hats and old clothes in an attempt to tamp down the tension of the negotiations." However, it may creep into humorous figurative uses like this: "Helen Highwater was Housekeeper Plenipotentiary to His Crotchety Majesty, her husband."

Word History: Today's Good Word was taken from French plénipotentiare, inherited from Latin plenipotentiarius "having complete power". The Latin word is a compound adjective comprising plenus "complete, full" + potent(s) "powerful", the present participle of potere "be powerful", based on potis "powerful, able, strong". Latin plenus is a metathesized version of PIE pel-/pol-"full, fill", which went on to become English full, German voll, Russian polny, Albanian plot "full", and Greek polys "many", whence the English prefix poly- "many". Latin potis derives from PIE poti- "powerful (one); lord", source also of Sanskrit patih "husband, master", Greek potis "husband" and Russian gospod "lord, master". (Now a word of thanks to Susan Maynard, major contributor of words to the series like today's rather fancy Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Plenipotentiary

Postby Slava » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:22 am

If you're like me and have no idea what a Terai hat is, this may help.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bnjtokyo
Lexiterian

Re: Plenipotentiary

Postby bnjtokyo » Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:05 pm

On the one hand, I did not know which particular form of head gear the term "Terai helmet" referred to, I did, on the other hand, know the geographical region the term "Terai" referred to. Since I know the Terai is the hot, muggy, jungly lowland region of Nepal, I assumed a Terai helmet would be similar to a pith helmet or safari hat and would provide sun protection while being well-ventilated to keep the head cool while out of doors in a hot muggy climate.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”