Headache

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Headache

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:43 pm

• headache •

Pronunciation: hed-ayk • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. Pain in the upper skull, head pain. 2. A major problem causing distress, anxiety, or vexation.

Notes: Today's commonplace word refers to a complaint that a pill may resolve and another that no pill can resolve. If you have a light headache, you may be headachy, which lays the ground for headachiness, a word my spellchecker doesn't like. Migraine headaches are, of course, another matter.

In Play: Drinking usually results in a delayed headache: "Harvey Wallbanger woke up this morning with a splitting headache after a night of hard drinking." The other type of headache requires more than a pill: "Mandy Gunze left her husband because he had become too much of a headache for her."

Word History: Today's Good Word is obviously a compound noun made up of head + ache. This word, believe it or not, comes from the same PIE word as Latin caput "head", PIE kaput "head". The PIE [k] became [(k)h] in Germanic languages and the [p] became [f], so the word in Old English was heafod. In Dutch today it's hoofd. For some reason the [p] remained in German Haupt. Latin caput today is chef in French, but in Old French it was chief. Recognize them? Ache goes back to PIE ages-/agos- "sin, guilt", which also produced awe and ail. In Ancient Greek it emerged as agos "guilt" and, in Sanskrit, anagas- "guiltless". (Thanks now to newcomer Peter Barrow, who saw the interest in today's ordinary word and shared it with us.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Headache

Postby David Myer » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:50 am

So why is it a splitting headache? Does the ache seem to split your head? That seems a bit of a stretch to me.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:45 pm

Lucky you, David.
You've clearly never had a full blown migraine.
Or the lesser version which, instead of a butcher's knife into the head, it's only an ice pick driven through the back of the head and out an eye.

Yes, splitting can be accurate, though at times a bit understated.

Debby
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:00 am

Oh dear. You poor thing. My partner is a fellow sufferer of migraines and I must accept that they can be pretty debilitating. So far in my life, I have been excused that sort of suffering, so it is difficult to properly sympathise. I must try harder.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:13 pm

David,
I find it convenient to remember that my number 5 pain is the same as YOUR number 5 pain, and so on up and down the scale from 1 to 10.
It's not so much a need for empathy/sympathy, just a remembrance of what you've had.
If you've never been pushed to the top of the scale, count this as proof that there is such a thing as karma, and that you've been very very good.
(however, the reverse is clearly not proof of having been evil)
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:52 am

I am comfortable with your scale, Debby, and I guess I rarely test the upper end of of it, certainly with headaches. And I have never given birth to a human being, although I must say, the pain I felt at the birth of my first was certainly up there - holding my partner's hand for moral support resulted in excruciating pain for me when she squeezed it.

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Postby Debbymoge » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:47 pm

Ah, David, your penchant for understatement is always good source for a giggle.
Shakespear

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:22 am

:lol:

Return to “Good Word Discussion”