Sprawl

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Sprawl

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:01 pm

• sprawl •

Pronunciation: sprawl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, intransitive

Meaning: To spread out in an ungainly, awkward manner.

Notes: Today's Good Word is unusual in two respects. First, it is an English word, not borrowed from any other language. Second, it is an English word that is pronounced exactly the way it is spelled. What precious rarity! Since it is English, we find only the few relatives English allows. Someone who sprawls in a chair or on a couch would be called a sprawler and the status of having sprawled is simply sprawl, as in 'urban sprawl'.

In Play: People and places do the most sprawling in our world today: "Clifton was sprawled out on the couch as though he were its sole owner." Urban sprawl is the most famous type of sprawling done by places: "As the city sprawls farther and farther into the woodlands, woodland creatures more and more find their way into our flower beds and gardens."

Word History: Today's Good Word started out as Old English spreawlian "to move the limbs about convulsively". It would seem to go back to a Proto-Indo-European sper-/spor- "to strew, spread" with two forms, one with an E, the other with an O. The ancient O-form of this word went on to become Greek spora "sowing", borrowed by English as spore, the spreading seeds of certain primitive plants. It then proceeded through Old Germanic and ended up in English as spread and sprout. Later on it emerged as <i>sprawl</i>, meaning "spread or stretch in a careless manner". It wasn't until the mid 1950s that the noun came to refer to the unmanaged spread of a city. (We should be sprawling all over each other to thank Kathleen McCune now of Sweden for suggesting today's Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Re: Sprawl

Postby David Myer » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:28 am

I wonder if sperm comes from the same PIE root? Seems likely.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:15 am

Yep, it does.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:01 pm

The mere sound of the word sprawl makes me uncomfortable. Suburban sprawl deserved the name. I do tend to sprawl all over the sofa in the den whilst wasting time watching TV.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:02 pm

Ah, so the thought of sprawl casts a pall, does it? Appalling sprawl!
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:24 am

Have you ever considered writing poetry, Slava?

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:13 am

Oh, David,
I suspect Slava may be guilty of writing something, but I suspect it's doggerel. (Confession: It takes one to know one.)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:22 am

Truth be told, I'm no poet, and don't I know it. :)

Return to “Good Word Discussion”