Peculiar

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Peculiar

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:39 pm

• peculiar •

Pronunciation: pê-kyu-lyêr • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Distinctive, characteristic of only one, unique, as 'habit peculiar to her'. 2. Odd, eccentric, strange, unusual, weird, as 'a peculiar bird of a man'. 3. Special, particular, specific, as 'a matter of peculiar interest'.

Notes: Today's peculiar word has been around for a long time. In the course of its life it procreated two nouns, the clunky peculiarness and the more sophisticated peculiarity. The latter can refer to an instance of a peculiar thing. Both can refer to the quality of the peculiar.

In Play: The first sense of peculiar refers to a uniqueness: "The dialects peculiar to Southern cities are radically different from those of rural regions." Often, the first two meanings of today's word are blended: "Lucinda Head has a peculiar way of thinking that often leads her astray." The third sense is the least often used: "A simple smile is a peculiar way of insinuating yourself into the affections of others."

Word History: Today's Good Word, again, was borrowed from Old French peculiare, where it meant "pertaining to one's private property", inherited directly from Latin peculiaris. The Latin adjective was based on the noun peculium "private property (in cattle)". The base of today's adjective is peculiar itself, peku "cattle", passed down from PIE pek'u- "cattle, moveable wealth", which also underlies Sanskrit pasvah "of cattle", German Vieh "cattle" (from Old High German fihu), Greek pekos "wool, fleece", Icelandic fax "mane", Dutch vacht "fleece, coat", and Lithuanian pešti "to pluck (feathers)". It arrived at Old English's doorstep as feoh "cattle, livestock, moveable wealth", which English converted over the years into fee. (Now thank Eileen Opiolka, whose peculiar taste for fascinating Good Words has led to many just as fascinating as today's.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Peculiar

Postby Slava » Fri Feb 02, 2024 10:08 am

Continuing my peculiar little crusade to reply to unanswered posts, I've taken to doing a few on the anniversary of their ignorance. What modern texting slang calls 'left on read', I believe.

(Put the stress on the NOR to get a feel for how I'm using that one. IG has its own meaning.)
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Tue Feb 06, 2024 11:26 am

There is a rare word 'ignoral' (see, for example, Wiktionary) which may fit better here.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:07 pm

Good find. I see it's so rare not many other dictionaries even bother with it, but it does seem to go back to the 19th century.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”