Pothole

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Pothole

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:02 pm

• pothole •

Pronunciation: paht-hol • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. A round hole in a riverbed or rock formed by swirling currents carrying stones. 2. A hole in the surface of a street or road caused by weather and wear, a chuckhole. 3. A deep hole in the ground leading to caves.

Notes: Did you ever wonder who left a pot in the first pothole? Well, I wondered why they are even called potholes and thought maybe you had, too. This word comes with two adjectives, potholed "having pothole(s)" and potholey "having many potholes. This noun may be used as a verb meaning "to produced potholes" and "caving, exploring potholes" in the 3rd sense above.

In Play: This word is used most often in reference to holes in a road or street: "Driving on back roads, Wiley Driver hit a pothole so deep it knocked his toupee off." It may also be used figuratively in the sense of "problem": "Carmen Ghia's journey to graduation hit several financial potholes."

Word History: Today's Good Word is obviously a compound comprising pot + hole. Pot was borrowed from French pot "pot, jar", the remnants of Late Latin potus "drinking cup". Potus is also the past participle of Latin potare "to drink" that was created from PIE poi-/pei- "to drink", which emerged in Sanskrit as pati "drinks", Greek poto "I drink", Albanian pi "I drink", Polish and Serbian pij "drink!", Russian pei "drink!" and pivo "beer", and Lithuanian puota "feast, drinking spree". Hole was the adjective hol "hollow, concave" and, when used as a noun, "hollow place, cave, cavity". The adjective sense gave way to hollow by Middle English. It has cousins in German hohl "hollow" and Höhle "cave", Dutch hol "cave, hollow, hole", Swedish hål "hole, well", Danish and Norwegian hule "cave" and hull "hole". Outside the Germanic languages we find no evidence of PIE family. (Now we must thank wordmaster William Hupy for today's common but fascinating Good Word.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Pothole

Postby bbeeton » Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:52 pm

Can't resist, although this is not relevant to the main word.

"Carmen Ghia" is a memorable name to me. A college friend had one (the car), which I had never heard of at the time, but since he was a native Rhode Islander, he pronounced it "Common Gear", which I thought was an apt name for a little English sports car. Well, I was wrong. And since it was a convertible, and he was also a surfer, seeing the board mounted on a frame mounted on the lid over the engine (which was in the back) was rather a surprise. Ah, youth.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: Pothole

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:12 pm

Apology unnecessary. I consider every word in my description of the GW is relevant in the Agora.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”