Onymous

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Onymous

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:51 pm

• onymous •

Pronunciation: ahn-ê-mês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: 1. Named, having a name. 2. Having a name attached or associated; not anonymous, as 'an onymous letter to the editor'.

Notes: This is not a sniglet, a word that should be in the dictionaries but isn't; it is a respectable word that is in the dictionaries but is widely ignored. It even has a family, including an adverb, onymously, a noun, onymity [ê-ni-mê-ti], and a much more famous antonym, anonymous.

In Play: Anything to which a name is attached is onymous: "Angelina had an onymous article on the front page of the newspaper after working there only three weeks." This word is probably most often used in the phrase "onymous or anonymous" or in referring to named items that are not usually named: "Jessie Bell lived in an onymous house with the rather ostentatious name, Bell Wether Estate."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from the Greek noun onoma, onyma "name", a rearrangement of the sounds in nomen, the original Proto-Indo-European word for "name". The Slavic languages rearranged the sounds, too, for Russian imya, imeni, Serbian ime, imeni, and Polish imię, imienia "name, name's". We find this form, unrearranged, in Latin nomen, nominis, the adjective for which was nominalis, which English shaved for its word nominal "in name only". The Greek version also turns up in words like synonym, antonym, and several others. Yes, the same PIE root descended through the Germanic languages to German Name and English name. (Today's word was suggested by the blatantly onymous wordmaster Lew Jury, who has sent us more than a few interesting Good Words before.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tkowal
Lexiterian

Re: Onymous

Postby tkowal » Sun Apr 16, 2023 7:22 am

Just a small (and pedantic!) spelling correction: Polish singular form for name is imię (second letter i missing).

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sun Apr 16, 2023 5:57 pm

I don't consider it small at all. I've made the correction. I should have caught that one.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Postby Audiendus » Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:01 pm

I think the reason that the word is widely ignored is that "an onymous..." sounds too much like "anonymous".

"Onymous" also sounds like a humorous back-formation, like "gruntled", "couth" and "kempt".

Return to “Good Word Discussion”