Defenestrate

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
gronk64
Junior Lexiterian

Defenestrate

Postby gronk64 » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:50 pm

I meant to post this here, not in the other forum. Sorry.

Based on the following examples, can the word "defenestrate" mean "to defeat" in a competition, especially a sporting event? I know that it literally means "to throw out of a window," and, metaphorically, "to get rid of; pink-slip; fire," as in: "The company defenestrated middle management."

The following are excerpts from the internet. So can "defenestrate" also mean, in a broader and metaphorical sense, ”to beat; to defeat"? Yes or no?

And have you ever heard it used in sentences like the ones below?

Eagles Defenestrate Royals, 112-76.

Taylor says even without Bumrah, India has a fiery pace line-up to defenestrate Australia.

But then came Saturday's 40-13 defenestration against Central Florida, in which the Knights scored 34 straight points and Tigers quarterback Riley Ferguson threw three interceptions and lost a fumble.

When England defenestrated India 4-0 last year, it seemed like this return series would be their final frontier.

Requiring only a draw to ensure safety in their last match at fellow relegation strugglers Sheffield Wednesday, they were defenestrated 6-0.

Raffensperger's outright victory was the piece de resistance in this unceremonious defenestration.

Rivers defenestrated Gomez with an uppercut in the third round.

Thanks.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Re: Defenestrate

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:20 pm

This is a new use in the sports world. The Oxford English Dictionary does have examples from both sides of the ocean of what they call a "colloquial" usage meaning "[t]o dismiss, discard, or dispose of (a person or thing); esp. to remove (a person) from a position of power or authority."

No dictionary I use lists "to defeat" as an alternative and all the citations you give are from the sports world, not known for the sophistication of its speech.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Return to “Good Word Discussion”