CASTIGATE

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CASTIGATE

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:20 pm

• castigate •

Pronunciation: kæs-tê-gayt • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb, transitive

Meaning: To severely reprimand or chastise.

Notes: This verb is a normal Latinate verb with the usual kinfolk. The noun is castigation and the adjective, castigative. Anything deserving of castigation is castigable; just be sure to drop the suffix -ate before adding -able—and add -able, not the more expectable -ible.

In Play: Today's Good Word is no longer used in the sense of physical punishment but rather to refer to an extreme chastisement: "I understand that Earl castigated his father for cutting him out of the will. I'm sure that will help change the old man's mind." Castigation, of course, always does more harm than good so is best avoided: "Instead of castigating me for everything I do wrong, why not give me a few bucks to do better?"

Word History: Today's punishing word comes from castigatus, the past participle of Latin castigare "to set right, correct, chastise, reprove", itself based on castus, "pure". The root of castus originally meant "cut", more obvious in castrare "castrate". Castle originated in Latin castellus, from castro "camp", something usually set up in a clearing. How the meaning "cut" shifted in castus to "pure, chaste" is rather mysterious ("having all flaws cut out?") but itself was borrowed directly from Latin for English caste. When the CA in Latin castellus changed to the French CHA we see today in chateau, castus followed the same rule to become chaste, which English also promptly borrowed, this time with the original sense. (Larry Brady, the Stargazer of the Alpha Agora, sends us lexical gems of unquestionable purity that we always enjoy.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Bailey
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Bailey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:23 pm

It's always been one of my favorite words.

mark good-for-the-geeze Bailey

Today is the first day of the rest of your life, Make the most of it...
kb

Sunny
Junior Lexiterian

Postby Sunny » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:20 pm

What a great word! This one I can surely use :P
One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love. Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC)

tcward
Wordmaster

Re: CASTIGATE

Postby tcward » Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:31 am

Meaning: To severely reprimand or chastise.
Hmm... Shouldn't that be chastize (at least here in the US)?

-Tim

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:56 am

Good question. I find that whole s over there, z over here a bit annoying. But no doubt everyone knows the quip "two peoples divided by a common language".
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:35 pm

Dredging up old topics, I must ask: is castigation the only form in which the stress shifts?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”