NAUSEOUS

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

NAUSEOUS

Postby Dr. Goodword » Mon May 07, 2007 10:44 pm

• nauseous •

Pronunciation: naw-zee-ês • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Adjective

Meaning: Causing an urge to vomit, nauseating. (Most dictionaries would also include "nauseated" as a definition but see our Notes.)

Notes: Choosing among the various adjectives derived from nauseate is becoming a problem among English speakers. The cause of the urge is either nauseous or nauseating. The experience of nausea leaves you nauseated—not nauseous. A dill pickle with chocolate sauce and whipped cream is nauseous because it nauseates us. We, on the other hand, feel nauseated at the thought of consuming such an 'indelicacy'.

In Play: OK, let's practice the difference we have just learned. "Marge's new perfume is absolutely nauseous; I feel nauseated every time I smell it." Certain types of motion can nauseate us, too: "The drive up Pike's Peak was so nauseous I threw up when we reached the top." That's enough; I find writing about such things is nauseous.

Word History: Of course, nothing is more likely to nauseate us than sailing on a ship, so wouldn't you just know that nausea is based on the Greek word naus "ship". Nausia (or nautia) in Greek meant "seasickness". English nautical is based on a derivation of naus, nautes "sailor". This same PIE word turned up in Latin as navis "ship" from which English navy and naval are derived. Latin also made a verb out of navis, navigare "to sail", from which we derived navigate. (We are happy that Rogers George managed to sail today's Good Word to us without any ill effects.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Tue May 08, 2007 9:46 am

OK, I admit it. I was also guilty of using nauseous, when I should have used nauseated. Thanks for clearing that up Doc.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Re: NAUSEOUS

Postby gailr » Tue May 08, 2007 3:34 pm

A dill pickle with chocolate sauce and whipped cream is nauseous because it nauseates us.
That combination verges on noxious.
:-p

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Tue May 08, 2007 6:26 pm

Hmmm. How much garlic is in that dill pickle?
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Huny
Lexiterian

Postby Huny » Wed May 09, 2007 12:32 am

I once became very nauseated when one of my customer's daughter barfed on the floor right in front of me. That led to an embarrassing chain of events that ultimately ended in the janitor's having to clean up two piles of tossed cookies. :oops: To this day it is still hard to look him in the eye. (I guess he now knows just how gutsy I really can be)

Huny- Who gets sea sickness before we even leave port :oops: Nothing a little Xanax won't clear up.
"What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compaired to what lies inside us." R.W.E.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”