Outrage

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Outrage

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:11 pm

• outrage •

Pronunciation: awt-rayj • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: An act of horror beyond all bounds of decency, deserving of the greatest anger and resentment. 2. The furious response to such an act.

Notes: Today's word was originally the abstract noun corresponding to the adjective outré "bizarre, most unusual". Today, however, the adjective corresponding to this noun is outrageous and the adverb, outrageously. This noun may be used freely as a verb, as an act that outraged the nation.

In Play: When I attended the University of North Carolina in the late 50s, students could only read D. H. Lawrence's novel, Lady Chatterley's Lover, under lock and key in the Rare Book Room. The moral outrage of the public over the sexually explicit descriptions in that novel may be a bit difficult to understand today. The worldwide outrage over the destruction of the World Trade Center in 2001, however, persists universally to this day.

Word History: As mentioned in the Notes above, today's Good Word was originally the noun derived from the adjective outré "bizzare, most unusual", with the addition of the suffix -age, i.e. outr-age. However, it was reanalyzed as out + rage by folk etymology and this analysis leads to the sense of rage and resentment that the word has today. Thus, outrage lost semantic contact with its original source, outré. Outré is the French descendant of Latin ultra "beyond," also used by English in the senses of "beyond" and "extreme", as in ultraliberal, ultramodern, and ultrasound "sound beyond the human hearing range", as well as ultralight aircraft.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:59 am

Should I be enraged with myself that I never knew the connection between "outré" and the Latin "ultra", or is this not so outrageous that I cannot cut myself some slack? :wink:
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Audiendus
Wordmaster

Re: OUTRAGE

Postby Audiendus » Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:49 pm

This word was recently discussed on another site, and it emerged that meaning 2 (the furious response to an act of outrage) seems to have arisen fairly recently. From old dictionaries and Google Ngram Viewer (e.g. enter "express(ed) outrage"), it appears that that meaning was not used before about the mid-20th century. Which is strange, considering the folk etymology of 'rage'.

Can anyone find older examples of the 'anger' sense of outrage?

Debbymoge
Lexiterian

Re: OUTRAGE

Postby Debbymoge » Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:07 pm

If the original word was "outr-age" , I would guess that the original meaning was something like "beyond the pale", or the more watered down version of today's "outrage" that is not used literally, i.e. "he wore the most outrageous ties!"

Is that the case? What was the earlier use of the word, before folk etymology stepped in and presumably raised the bar?
I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw.
Shakespear

Return to “Good Word Discussion”