DOOZY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

DOOZY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:15 pm

• doozy •

Pronunciation: du-zee

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A pip, a beaut, a lulu, a humdinger, a lollapalooza, in other words, an epitome, prime example, something truly extraordinary in its class.

Notes: Although I've equated lulu, beaut, humdinger, and lollapalooza in today's definition, this characterization is at odds with George Carlin's. According to Carlin, "There are two pips in a beaut, four beauts in a lulu, eight lulus in a doozy, and sixteen doozies in a humdinger. No one knows how many humdingers there are in a lollapalooza." I wouldn't argue with him; I don't think I have ever seen a lollapalooza. The plural of this word is doozies, which leads some speakers to assume that the singular is spelled doozie. It isn't.

In Play: Our original choice for a Good Word for today was lulu, but the origin of this word turned out to be a doozy of a mystery, so we settled for doozy itself—a lulu of a word, if I do say so myself. If we follow Carlin's formula, we could say things like, "I wouldn't say his new car is a doozy but she sure is a lulu." But would we want to?

Word History: The question of the origin of this good if slangy word has bred two schools of thought. Some think it a corruption of daisy, which, in the 19th and early 20th centuries referred to anything first-rate. However, the slippage from the vowel in daisy to that in doozy is unlikely. Others think this word is a variant of Duesy, a clipping of Duesenberg, the expensive and exquisite car of the 20s and 30s. The problem here is that the word doozy first appeared in print in 1903. However, prior to building their superb cars, the Duesenberg brothers built superb racing bicycles (raced them, too), and they began that business in 1895. The best speculation, then, is that our Good Word for today began as a clipping of the bicycle name which was reinforced in the 20s and 30s by the reputation of the car.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: DOOZY

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:15 pm

• doozy •The plural of this word is doozies, which leads some speakers to assume that the singular is spelled doozie. It isn't.
Is this why we have the option of spelling the short term for a small, generally flat-ish, baked item, otherwise known as a cookie/cooky?

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Suffixes -ie, -y

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:22 pm

I did a little research into this question under this assumption and couldn't find historical support for it. In fact, the suffix -y on nouns and adjectives was originally French -ie, so that for seems to have preceded -y. However, not in the case of doozy.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Suffixes -ie, -y

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 pm

I did a little research into this question under this assumption and couldn't find historical support for it. In fact, the suffix -y on nouns and adjectives was originally French -ie, so that for seems to have preceded -y. However, not in the case of doozy.
So, either way is fine?

Probably not the case if we change the first letter to a "k". Kookie just doesn't work. So I'll go with kooky cookies, should the need arise.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”