Ravel

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Ravel

Postby Dr. Goodword » Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:39 pm

• ravel •

Pronunciation: ræ-vêl • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To entangle, weave together. 2. To disentangle, to fray, to unweave.

Notes: Today's Good Word is what Richard Lehrer has called a 'contranym', a word with a meaning opposite its meaning. Originally, this verb meant "to entangle", but it has come to mean just the opposite: "to disentangle" and from there to "fray, unweave". Even more fascinating, both meanings seem to have been used in the 17th century, when this word first appeared, for unravel appeared immediately after its arrival. So, both words have been with us for about 300 years. Keep in mind that ravel may also be used as a noun in the sense of a tangle, as to comb the ravels out of her hair.

In Play: No doubt because of its contradictory meanings, ravel has all but disappeared from English. But now that unravel relieves ravel of its negative meaning, lets focus on the positive meaning of ravel: "Wyatt Hertz had raveled his personal affairs into such a tangled mess, he couldn't even sort them out with the help of two therapists." As you can see, these words work well metaphorically: "It took the former friends of Tommy Rott several days to unravel the mystery of who put the vodka in the punch at the church social."

Word History: We know little about the origins of this word beyond Dutch. It is a Germanic word, for it shows up only in Germanic languages and a few borrowings from Germanic elsewhere. Dutch was the origin of both English variants: rafelen "to entangle" and ontrafelen "to untangle". These verbs are based on the noun ravel "a loose thread". In the past they were sometimes spelled with a V instead of an F, which are identical sounds except that the vocal cords vibrate in pronouncing V but not F. The same Germanic root gave us the raff in riffraff, via Old French raffer "to sweep together", borrowed from Dutch rafelen or one of its relatives. Raffle came from the same French verb. It originally was the name of a dice game that must have resembled sweeping the floor. (We don't want to ravel this discussion to the point we forget to thank Susan Kappel for suggesting such a lovely word with such a tangled past.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

3)

Postby engineer27 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:45 am

I have always known Ravel as the french composer and orchestrator, known for "Bolero" and "Pictures at an Exhibition" among others.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: 3)

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:35 pm

I have always known Ravel as the french composer and orchestrator, known for "Bolero" and "Pictures at an Exhibition" among others.
I agree, Boléro is a wonderful piece of music. I have to say, though, I think Modest Mussorgsky would quarrel with you over your attribution of his work to Mr. Ravel.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: RAVEL

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:41 pm

1.[/b] To entangle, weave together. 2. To disentangle, to fray, to unweave.
So, when one gets home from a fancy ball, for which one got a weave, one can actually ravel the ravel?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:07 am

1.[/b] To entangle, weave together. 2. To disentangle, to fray, to unweave.
So, when one gets home from a fancy ball, for which one got a weave, one can actually ravel the ravel?
If one is caught weaving across the road on the way home, one could get ravelled in the arms of justice. Subsequently, one's life may unravel.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

engineer27
Junior Lexiterian

Re: 3)

Postby engineer27 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:49 pm

I agree, Boléro is a wonderful piece of music. I have to say, though, I think Modest Mussorgsky would quarrel with you over your attribution of his work to Mr. Ravel.
I was referring to the popular orchestration of Mussorgsky's piano work, by Maurice Ravel (http://www.lasr.cs.ucla.edu/geoff/progn ... tures.html)

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:11 pm

I don't sanction the use of contranyms.

But here for your perusal is an excellent use of "ravel" which draws on both meanings 1 and 2:

“The short version of a long and ravelled story is that Mailer came drunk to the taping of a show featuring Vidal and The New Yorker’s Paris correspondent, Janet Flanner, who was then almost eighty. Mailer glowered and blustered and abused the other guests and the audience, which began abusing him back.” Louis Menand “Talk Story: Dick Cavett and the battles for late night” The New Yorker November 22, 2010
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Re: Ravel

Postby bamaboy56 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:23 am

I've always heard the "Bolero" composer's name pronounced ra-VEL rather than the emphasis being placed on the first syllable. Just saying.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Ravel

Postby Perry Lassiter » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:50 pm

I believe you are correct bamaboy.
It also struck me that Bolero is the weaving together of a theme played by numerous instruments supported by a maniacal and hypnotic rhythm. Ravel's Bolero is almost needless repetition!
pl

Return to “Good Word Discussion”