Yankee

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Yankee

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:19 pm

• Yankee •

Pronunciation: yæng-kee • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: A term for natives of the American Colonies, dating from the 17th century. It gained wider usage during the War of Independence (1775-1783) and continues today.

Notes: Southerners, who use today's word strictly to refer to Northerners, are often taken aback when they go abroad and hear themselves called Yanks. But today is a day of national unity in the US, so distinctions like this disappear, at least temporarily. Before you start singing or playing "Yankee Doodle Dandy", though, you might want to read Audra Himes's analysis and explication of the lyrics to that patriotic song by clicking here.

In Play: We suggest you not use today's Good Word as do our Cockney brethren in England. In Cockney slang, Yank rhymes with tank so, as a result of the crystal clear logic of that game, US Americans become Seppos, short for septic tank. You fill in the blanks. Australians have picked up the habit, too. Of course, we have a few unflattering names for them, too.

Word History: A British officer in 1789 suggested that Yankee comes from the Cherokee word eankhe "slave, coward". It might just as well come from a Native American pronunciation of English, yengees, which later became Yankees. Yankee could have been withdrawn from this word by back derivation. Most probably, however, it comes from Dutch nickname for Jan "John"—Janke, where Dutch J is pronounced [y]. In 1817, an observer noted that the populace of Richmond were "mostly strangers; Scotch, Irish, and especially New England men, or Yankees, as they are called." (We dedicate today's word to soldiers and their families who fought—and continue to fight—to protect values of this Great Experiment around the world.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: YANKEE

Postby Slava » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Sadly, the Himes article link is dead. There is a lot out there about just what macaroni meant back then, though.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bbeeton
Senior Lexiterian

Postby bbeeton » Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:33 am

An archived version of the referenced article can (at this moment) be found at

https://www.asheville.com/news/doodle.html

However, since it's not the original, it too may disappear.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:46 pm

Thanks for looking it up. I dabbled at finding it, but with no luck. I wonder if "the towering women's hairstyles built with wool, horsehair and wire frames" were commodes.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Yankee

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:36 pm

I mourn the loss of the many comments about the word "Yankee" that was formerly a Good Word. Should we try to recreate it? Perhaps we should "let sleeping Yankees lie."
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:34 am

I mourn the loss of the many comments about the word "Yankee" that was formerly a Good Word. Should we try to recreate it? Perhaps we should "let sleeping Yankees lie."

Here you go, the first time Yankee was treated was in 2005, the 2011 version had no comments.
Last edited by Slava on Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:41 pm

I followed the hyperlink "2005". It was empty. Perhaps I have been living in an alternate universe. I have been accused of that. Where did I post this definition of a Yankee?
To foreigners Yankees are the people of The United States.
To a Southerner they are people from the northern states.
To someone from the northern states they are people from New England.
To the people from New England they are people from Vermont.
To the people from Vermont they are people who eat cake for breakfast.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:19 pm

Well, that's embarrassing. I somehow created the urls but never put in the addresses. Weird. They should be fixed now. :oops:

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:31 pm

Now that I have read the two Goodword entries I am still puzzled.
I recall an extended conversation and that fairly recent. I know I am in my dotage but I didn't know that I had completely lost my mind.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:32 pm

Philip,

Not losing your mind. Yes, we recently had a lengthy discussion including your excellent definition. I suspect it was a digression from discussion of another word. I will research.

David Myer
Grand Panjandrum

Postby David Myer » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:37 pm

Ahh! Found it. The excellent discussion was under 'hurdy-gurdy'.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10346&hilit=hurdy+gurdy

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:18 pm

David: Thanks so much for telling me where to look for my Yankee comments. I feel relief that I haven't yet lost all my marbles.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”