CLOY

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

CLOY

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat May 22, 2010 11:23 pm

• cloy •

Pronunciation: kloy • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Verb

Meaning: 1. To be too rich or sweet. 2. To jade, to provide with too much of something pleasant.

Notes: Today's still Good Word is currently used almost exclusively in its adjectival and adverbal forms, cloying and cloyingly. The common noun is cloyingness, but Shakespeare used cloyment in Twelfth Night (1601): "That suffer surfeit, cloyment, and revolt." There is also an odd negative adjective, cloyless, as in "cloyless dark chocolate truffles", not to be confused with clueless.

In Play: Of course, you will most often hear the adjective from today's Good Word: "She thought the cloying smell of lilies inappropriate for a first date." However, do not forget the verb underlying the adjective: "Cloyed by too much success, Seamus Allgood's life began to drift far off its original course."

Word History: This Good Word is a clipping of obsolete accloy "to clog (up)" from Old French encloer "to drive a nail into", created from clou "nail". The French verb comes from Medieval Latin inclavare, comprising in "in" + clavare "to nail", a verb derived from clavus "nail, peg". Clavus is also related to clavis "key", found in clavicle, clavichord, and the noun, conclave, the group that chooses popes behind locked doors. The original word came to the Germanic languages as German schliessen "to close" and English slot, apparently from the sense of a hole for a peg of some kind.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

skinem
Grand Panjandrum

Postby skinem » Sun May 23, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks for the word...would never have guessed there was a link between cloy and clavichord...

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 am

I wonder if they nail in the group that elects popes???
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

tcward
Wordmaster

Postby tcward » Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm also caught up in all the ways that 'claw' and 'nail' share their linguistic roots...

And I reckon there is a connection to enclave and cleave...?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:38 pm

And the papal election group is called the "conclave".
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:08 pm

And the papal election group is called the "conclave".
Which bring us back to your original question above, did they really nail the door shut on the Cardinals way back when? Let's face it, Yale locks and such haven't been around for all that long. Anyone out there care to dive in and do some research on that one and let us know? I admit to being too lazy at the moment.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”