Remission

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Remission

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:19 pm

• remission •

Pronunciation: ree-mi-shên • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. The act of remitting, of sending in. 2. Release or forgiveness from a debt, misbehavior, or sin. 3. [Medicine] Abatement, subsiding, lessening of a disease.

Notes: Today's word has taken quite a semantic journey which isn't easy to follow. As the noun for the verb remit, we might think that the original meaning was "sending in". However, the oldest published use, around 1200 AD, was in the sense of "remission (forgiveness) of sins". By the 14th century, it was being used in the sense of a formal pardon, as a remission of one's debts or crimes. In that same century, it was used in the sense of "lessening", as remission of the weather or diseases. It was only in the 17th century that we see the word used in its 'transparent' sense of "sending in", as in the remission of taxes to the crown. Odd, to say the least.

In Play: Looking at the use of this word on the Web, we might think that it is used only in the sense of "cancer in remission". But other things may go into remission, too: "Everyone in Pennsylvania hopes the current heat wave will go into remission and bring down temperatures." Anything even vaguely resembling sin qualifies for remission thereof: "Ray Scane promised his wife a diamond ring in exchange for remission of his next ten offenses against her (as she counts them)."

Word History: Middle English borrowed today's Good Word pretty much 'as is' from Old French. Old French inherited it from Latin remissio(n) "relaxation, a sending back," a noun built on remissus, the past participle of remittere "to slacken, let go, abate". The root of this word is something of a mystery. It seems to come from a root with a Fickle S for colloquial German schmeißen "to toss, bash" could be related, though we don't find evidence of it in other Germanic languages. Avestan maeth "send" is probably related but, again, we find no evidence of it in other Iranian languages. (We are delighted at Jeremy Busch's remission of this Good Word for consideration in our series and promise him remission of all his faults if he sends us more.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: REMISSION

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:30 am

Remit also is a noun that means essentially purview.

Remission is generally only of something bad, no? If a recovering alcoholic has a relapse, we wouldn't say their sobriety is in remission, would we? Except as an attempt at humor, that is.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Remission

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:20 pm

also used in Christian circles in that Lenten Penances
are currently being performed for the 'remission of sins'.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:42 pm

As a hide bound Baptist, penance does not remit sins. Repentance brings remission.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:30 pm

All I know is what I hear from the pulpit, and I don't
pretend to know what all the various sects of Christianity
preach or do not preach, practice or deny. It seems like
a smorgasbord out there.
All I know is what I read in Luke 24:46ff:
He said to them: "Thus it is written that the Messiah must suffer and rise
from the dead on the third day. In his name, penance for the
remission of sins is to be preached to all the nations, beginning
at Jerusalem".

If your Bible says differently, stick to it. We must preach tolerance
and love.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:23 am

Repentance is hating your sin, asking for forgiveness and turning from it. Penance is asking for forgiveness AND doing something good to offset one's sin. However, no one can erase his/her own sin by a good deed or any other way. Jesus has already paid the debt for sin, once and for all. I realize that different religious communities take somewhat different views on this. It is what fueled the Protestant reformation. Baptist are neither Catholic or Protestant. All churches have strayed from the New Testament model and have errors in belief. However, Protestants, Catholics, Orthodox and Baptists all agree on who Jesus is and what he did to reconcile men/women to God. And a good dose of humility is good for me and everyone else. As Tiny Tim said, God bless us every one!

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:17 pm

I agree with Tiny Tim. And it seems just in the three posts, or
so, that we've made, we have fallen prey to just what all the
sects want us to do, argue over who's right, finagling over
words - just what drove us all apart to begin with. So, for me
I'm just going to Love God and Love Neighbor. Thanks, Philip.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:50 am

"Love God and Love Neighbor" comprehends all the other commandments. So I say Amen to you my friend and neighbor.

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Postby misterdoe » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:17 pm

But the "sending in" of payments is remittance, isn't it? I've never seen remission in any sense except that of a disease that has lessened in severity but not necessarily gone away. :?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:24 pm

But the "sending in" of payments is remittance, isn't it? I've never seen remission in any sense except that of a disease that has lessened in severity but not necessarily gone away. :?

I believe remission is the act of remitting, remittance the thing remitted.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:32 pm

This discussion has been very good - enlightening, edifying and cementing us to one another. May its tribe increase.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”