AIT

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

AIT

Postby Dr. Goodword » Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:04 am

• ait •

Pronunciation: ayt • Hear it!
Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: 1. An islet, an isle, a small island, usually in a river. 2. (Scottish) An oat.

Notes: The second sense of today's word is probably just the Scottish pronunciation of oat, but the first meaning may be surprising. First, it is sometimes spelled eyot, as the eyots of the River Thames. This word was early on combined with land to make sure everyone understood it to be land surrounded by water. The result, eitland, today is island.

In Play: River islands come with a touch of romance, maybe engendered by the works of Mark Twain: "Riding north from Harrisburg along the Susquehanna, I am constantly reminded by the aits in that river of Tom Sawyer's life as a boy on the Mississippi." Do be careful buying one, however; living on an ait might not be all that romantic: "When Phil bought a plot of land in Florida for his retirement, he didn't realize that it was an ait in the Okefenokee Swamp."

Word History: Today's Good Word comes from Old English igeth, which was eit by Middle English. The Old English word is a reduction of Proto-Indo-European akw- "water", the same root that became aqua "water" in Latin. We see the Latin word in many English borrowings, like the word for the color of Mediterranean water, aqua, and others, including aquarium, aquaduct, and the water of life, aquavit. Latin had a verb from this root, too, aquari "to fetch water". The past participle of this verb was aquatus, inherited by Italian as guazzo, which French borrowed for the water-color painting known as gouache. To drain the water away in Late Latin was exaquare, from ex "away (from) + aqua "water". Old French smoothed this word off a bit, creating esseouer (essorer "to wring out" today). At this point English worked its magic to reduce this word to sewer. (Dawn Dresser is a pleasant ait amidst the river of life for having suggested today's surprisingly lovely wordlet.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:53 pm

One of the most famous aits is Île de la Cité in the river Seine on which stands Notre Dame de Paris. Still, it feels inapt to juxtapose a rough-sounding like "ait" with a harmonious French phrase like "Île de la Cité." (I feel free to belittle the sound being of Celtic ancestry myself, and intending no disrespect to Ms. Dresser.) Why not substitute "isle" which sounds like a lullaby? (By the way, "lullaby" is a beautiful Middle English word.) Oops, "isle" is from Old French too! Ah, euphonia!

Perry
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:17 pm

The latest horror movie...
The island that ait Notre Dame.
"Time is nature's way of keeping everything from happening all at once. Lately it hasn't been working."
Anonymous

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:07 pm

The latest horror movie...
The island that ait Notre Dame.
Ow. Good to have you back.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Eyot?

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:39 pm

How about "City Eyot"? This is a spelling of ait used in the UK. I, for some strange, no doubt Celtic, reason, prefer this spelling.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:20 pm

Actually I prefer "eyot" too. Ait always reminds me of
aglet, of which there is no relationship, just my brain.
Ait is in crosswords so much that it is some weeks a
distraction.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”