Nincompoop

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Nincompoop

Postby Dr. Goodword » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:45 pm

• nincompoop •

Pronunciation: ning-kêm-pup • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun

Meaning: An affectionate synonym for simpleton, dunce, dumb-bunny, and similar such deprecative terms referring to low mental capacity.

Notes: Sometimes people you love do foolish things that you wish to criticize affectionately. Today's Good Word is just the term you need for such situations. Nincompoops are nincompoopish people who behave nincompoopishly. If you engage in nincompoopery on a regular basis, you could achieve the awesome status of nincompoophood! Wow!

In Play: Today's Good Word is such a pleasant way to call someone stupid in a way that suggests forgiveness: "Oh, no! The old nincompoop has put his trousers on backwards again!" English playwright William Wycherley, however, let its use get out of hand in his 1676 play, The Plain Dealer: "Thou senseless, impertinent, quibbling, drivelling, feeble, paralytic, impotent, fumbling, frigid nincompoop". (Something I said?)

Word History: An earlier 16th century word, noddypoop, may have influenced today's word, which first appeared in print in 1673. It seems to be a compound of ninny, a reduced, slang form of innocent + poop. Poop began its career referring to the rear (aft) of a ship (as in poop deck) in the 15th century and ended up referring to the hinder parts of people. In the 16th century, a poop was a toot on a horn or a blast of air through a horn but by 1744 it referred to a blast of gas from the hinder part of a person or animal. Virginia Woolfe, in her novel Voyage Out (1915), seems to have been the first to have published poop indicating a bore or stupid person. We assume that a nincompoop is a poop superior to a plain one.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:45 am

...and speaking of Freud, he commented somewhere that civilization began when Man first started throwing insults instead of rocks, or words to that effect. I would venture to say--without proof-- that there are far more insults in the dictionary than compliments. Civilized people seem to take a wicked satisfaction in them. Still, "nincompoop" reminds us that offensiveness can be fine-tuned ;insults can be incremental. Take, for instance the following list of insults (nobody likes to take insults.) in ascending or descending order: noodle, noddy, ninny, ninny hammer, notable lubber, nutsy, nimble-footed madcap, numbskull and nitwit. That's eNough for now...

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: NINCOMPOOP

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:48 am

by 1744 it referred to a blast of gas from the hinder part of a person or animal.
When did it become the solids that exit the hinder parts?

We also have "to tire," "give up the ghost," "ruin."

I'm pooped.
My car pooped out on me.
Don't invite him. He's a party pooper.

We could do an entire section just on poop. Fun word. Scatological, yet completely acceptable in the right places.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:05 pm

We are back to the nether regions. Haven't we "bottomed out" yet?

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Ha! My wife's grandmother never could pronounce this word right. She kept pronouncing it "nincomPOOT". She may have been unknowingly referring to the "blast of gas from the nether parts of a person or animal". She was a real card.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:19 pm

Perhaps the POOT was a form of euphemism? Rather than say the "P" word, she went with something that would be understood, but not be the actual word. My father was an avid sportsman, playing tennis, squash, fencing, even some basketball. I never heard him swear. If he mucked up, his choice of word was "shoofty". Or he'd rebuke himself by last name, "Oh, Busch!"
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:40 pm

Good point, Slava. My father was a First Sergeant in the Marine Corps. When he swore, there were no euphemisms involved! He's really mellowed out now in his old age. Still wouldn't want to make him angry, though.
Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I'm going to change myself. -- Rumi

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Euphamisms

Postby Slava » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:53 pm

Another interesting euphemism that comes to mind is one I gather is rather common in Canada. Asphalt is regularly pronounced "ash-fault".

My father was in the service, too, but, as he loved to relate, after all the weeks of basic training, being taught how to kill, his first assignment was as life-guard at the officers' pool.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:15 pm

I've heard it pronounced "ash-fault", too, and I'm in the Deep South! Go figure. I remember after going through weeks of Army basic training (also learning all the various ways to kill and maim), as well as weeks of paratrooper training, my first assignment was gathering counter-intelligence on Spanish-speaking countries. Those were the days, my friend. I'm glad I had the privilege of serving. I still miss it.

wsodonnell2
Junior Lexiterian

Postby wsodonnell2 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:18 am

I've always figured nincompoop must have been a playful onomatopoeic corruption of 'non compos mentis' and evidently Samuel Johnson thought so too.

Even if we're both wrong, at least I'm in good company, another harmless drudge.

See:
https://sesquiotic.wordpress.com/tag/nincompoop/

I can't help wondering what an adjectival or adverbial form would look like. Nincompoopteric? Noncompooptotic?Nincompooply? Nincompooptastic?

What in the world sort of person would spend valuable time on such conjectures?

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:09 pm

What in the world sort of person would spend valuable time on such conjectures?
I'd say you're a logophile.

bamaboy56
Lexiterian

Postby bamaboy56 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm

wsodonnell2, don't forget the participles (present-nincompooping and past-has nincompooped). Strange what sticks in your mind.

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: NINCOMPOOP

Postby Stargzer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:23 pm

This sounds like Dr. Smith on Lost in Space!
English playwright William Wycherley, however, let its use get out of hand in his 1676 play, The Plain Dealer: "Thou senseless, impertinent, quibbling, drivelling, feeble, paralytic, impotent, fumbling, frigid nincompoop".
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re:

Postby Stargzer » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:25 pm

... My father was a First Sergeant in the Marine Corps. When he swore, there were no euphemisms involved! ...
My father was a Gunny. He never talked in his sleep; he swore!

I learned from the best!
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Nincompoop

Postby LukeJavan8 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:17 pm

:lol:
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Return to “Good Word Discussion”