Skinflint

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Skinflint

Postby Dr. Goodword » Thu May 12, 2011 9:59 pm

• skinflint •

Pronunciation: skin-flint • Hear it!

Part of Speech:Noun

Meaning: A miser, a niggardly person, a tightwad, a person so greedy he would try to get skin from a flint.

Notes: Today's Good Word may be the longest word in English that is pronounced the way it is spelled (see Pronunciation). The now famous poem by Gerald Trenite The Chaos reflects the more usual relationships between English pronunciation and spelling. In other respects, though, this word is not alone in the world; it possesses an adjective, skinflinty which boasts an adverb, skinflintily and a noun, skinflintiness.

In Play: For some reason, skinflintiness is most often associated with old people: "That old skinflint has the first nickel he ever earned." That may be the result of the ability to manage money coming later in life. Whatever the reason, it is unfair; skinflints come in all sizes, genders, and ages: "Is my baby already such a skinflint that she won't share her cookie with her daddy?" You guess the age here.

Word History: The first component of today's word, skin, was borrowed from Norwegian skinn, cousin of Danish skind. It goes back to Proto-Indo-European sek- "to cut" plus a suffix -n. With a suffix -s, it became Old English seax [sayks] "knife", which today is zax "hatchet for trimming roof shingles". With both -s and -n, this root may be responsible for Saxon [sæksên] "people with the knives", though this derivation is not without its problems. In Latin the root emerged in secare "to cut", the root at the root of a large series of English borrowings, including secant, intersect, insect, and section. Oh, yes: English sickle is also a derivative of the same root. (Let us all be grateful that Larry Brady, our Stargazer in the Agora, is not a skinflint with his words, for it was he who suggested this one for today.)
• The Good Dr. Goodword

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: SKINFLINT

Postby Slava » Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:15 pm

Here's my favorite poem for showing English oddities:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea,
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight for it two say,
Weather eye and wring oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long,
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.

To rite with care is quite a feet
Of witch won should bee proud,
And wee mussed dew the best wee can,
Sew flaw's are knot aloud.

Eye have run this poem threw it
Your sure reel glad two no,
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

-Sauce unknown
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”