UNREMACADAMIZED

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

UNREMACADAMIZED

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:59 am

• unremacadamized •

Pronunciation: ên-ree-mê--dê-mayzd • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Past participle

Meaning: Having not been covered again with crushed stone bound by tar or asphalt.

Notes: One of the most fascinating aspects of the English language is the extent to which it reflects the melting pots of the English-speaking nations. Today's Good Word is a lexical Dagwood sandwich: an English prefix and suffix holding chunks of four other languages together. The prefix un- "not" and the past participle suffix -ed are pure English. Between them we find the Latin prefix re- "again", the Scots Gaelic prefix mac "son of" from "MacAdam", the inventor of macadam, the Hebrew word adam "man", and, finally, -ize, the Greek verbal suffix found in words like archa-iz-ein "to be old fashioned".

In Play: Conceivable situations calling for today's improbable Good Word do arise: "Our road remained unremacadamized for decades until the head of the Department of Transportation bought a house on it." Of course, anyone living in an invious region would be envious of even an unremacadamized road.

Word History: The root of today's Good Word has an eponym in the name of John Loudon MacAdam (1786-1836), a Scotsman who built roads with crushed stone bound with gravel on a firm base of large stones. By curving the surface of his roads, water ran off to the sides so as to preserve the base. Travel was much faster on these roads, which quickly came to be called 'Macadamized' roads. Much later, the crushed stone in macadamized roads was bound by tar, then asphalt.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:18 am

Confession is said, by those who presume to know, to be good for the soul. As mine could do with a modicum of polishing, I hereby publicly acknowledge that it was not so much our good Doctor's excellent exegesis of the serial piracy that gave us this GWotD, but rather the illustration that accompanied it to my mailbox that aroused my interest in the same. As, for reasons beyond my ken, it has not been included in the Agora posting, I take the liberty of providing it for the delectation of my fellow Agorists :

Impressive, is it not ? One wonders what the good Earl would have said, could he have anticipated the path of evolution of his creation. Talk about the peacock's tail !...

Henri
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:33 am

M. Henry, I was wondering if you talk like you write. It'd be cool to talk like that.

Brazilian dude
Languages rule!

M. Henri Day
Grand Panjandrum

Postby M. Henri Day » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:37 am

Depends upon my interlocutor(s)....

Henri (with «i»)
曾记否,到中流击水,浪遏飞舟?

Brazilian dude
Grand Panjandrum

Postby Brazilian dude » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:30 pm

Sorri.