succor

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
sardith
Lexiterian

succor

Postby sardith » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:12 pm

Hello friends,

Don't have anything especially profound to say, except that I wish we hadn't let this word, 'succor', fall through the cracks of our American lexicon. There are many times it would've been just the right word. . .and yet I had to find it in my ages old Bible. Sad.

Happy Friday,
Sardith :mrgreen:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: succor

Postby Slava » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:19 pm

I think we now use it mostly in the sense of giving succor to the enemy. Sad, I agree.

Here, by the by, is the Doctor's treatment.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:06 am

Succor comes from Latin through French and means to assist or aid. Succor translates the Hebrew word azar into English, meaning to gird or to equip. I'm not a Hebrew scholar so Perry might want to comment on this.

A hymnist wrote, "And lean for succor on His breast." This seems to miss the point and confuse the definition.

It is truly a comforting word.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

sardith
Lexiterian

Postby sardith » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:20 am

As I said, I found mine in an old Bible, a Noah Webster's 1833 translation, where I believe the word has been chosen appropriately.

"For in that he himself hath suffered, being tempted, he is able to succor them that are tempted." Hebrews 2:18

Enjoy your weekend,
Sardith
:mrgreen:
“The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.”
~Mark Twain, [pen name for Samuel Clemens], American author and humorist, (1835-1910)~

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:54 am

There is a Roman Church here called Our Lady of Prompt Succor.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:26 pm

Following up on Luke's comment, it turns out that Our Lady of Prompt Succor is the patroness of Perry's state, Louisiana.

"Our Lady of Prompt Succor is a religious title given to the Blessed Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus, by the Roman Catholic Church. It refers to a statue of the Madonna kept in a shrine in New Orleans, Louisiana, United States. She is also known as Notre-Dame de Bon Secours. She is the principal patroness of the state of Louisiana, the Archdiocese of New Orleans, and the city of New Orleans. Her feast day is celebrated on January 8."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_of_Prompt_Succor)

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:44 pm

As soon as I saw "Prompt Succor" I thought of the simpler phrase and, Lo!, I found it in Australia.

Quik-Eze is a brand name of an antacid there. Probably a better choice of a name than Prompt Succor. Fast relief either way, but the former sells better, don't you think?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Quik-Eze trumps Prompt Succor as the name for an antacid.

Succor is used in the KJV and other translations.

Noah Webster's 1833 transmogrification of the KJV Bible is indeed an old and almost never quoted "version". The book can be called a version, I suppose, but it should never be called a translation. Noah Webster, who surely was The Man and all knowledge died with him (my paraphrase from the book of Job), wanted the Bible to agree with his version of English. He also thoroughly bowdlerized the KJV. While I own many Bibles I do not have the Noah Webster's Bible. You can find it at http://biblehub.com/.

In an example of his bowdlerizations: 1 Kings 21:21in the KJV is "I … will cut off from Ahab him that pisseth against the wall …" Webster says, "I…will cut off from Ahab the males… "

Other versions have also bowdlerized the original and say something similar to Webster. If the KJV was good enough for Peter and Paul, it's good enough for me.

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:47 pm

MTC - there is a movie about the situation in New Orleans
back in the days, I saw it, on a cable station, but don't
think I caught the title.

slava - with the use of Wiki, Wiki-eze???

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:42 pm

Wiki-eze: I like it. For the ease of looking things up. it's not a bad idea. As for matching succor, I'm not so sure. Unless we're talking about the "sucker" who puts too much faith in taking everything from the Wikis as unadulterated truth. :D

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:49 pm

That is for sure: suckers !

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:48 am

Are we sneering at Wikipedia? It certainly has its shortcomings. But so did Johnson's Dictionary and Noah Webster's Dictionary. There is no perfect rendition of knowledge on any subject.

I have clashed swords with Wikipedia on errors in some of their entries. Unless I can present published, documented proof, they will not investigate or make changes. Even though I was there and had first-person experience, it doesn't count unless it has been published. Not all that is published is necessarily true.

Still, I consult Wikipedia frequently and find them to be as reliable as most other sources. It never hurts to cross check one's information. In genealogy, more than one documented reference must be provided to get general acceptance of an assertion about any specific relationship.

No one has ever attempted to create a reference volume as comprehensive as Wikipedia. Cut them some slack.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:51 am

If Wikipedia is for "suckers," one must be born every minute.
To Slava and Luke: Do you contend the Wikipedia article I quoted is incorrect?

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:52 pm

I was referring to the use of the word "wiki", Hawai'ian
for "quick".

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:00 pm

For my part, I wrote about people who put "too much faith in taking everything from the Wikis as unadulterated truth."

I use Wikipedia regularly, but on controversial topics I read it with a large grain of salt.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”