Fob

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Re: Fob

Postby Slava » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:39 pm

PL, look at the numbers. You yourself are about to double up.
Last edited by Slava on Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

gailr
Grand Panjandrum

Postby gailr » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:49 pm

^ *raises an eyebrow at that phrasing*

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:20 pm

PL, ... You yourself are about to go bi.
I'm shocked, shocked that Slava would so blatantly comment on Perry's sexual orientation. If Perry comes out, that's his business. :shock: :)

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:50 pm

MTC:
I'd like to add, to the accolades of others:

Congratulations!!!

I, too, had no idea that you were approaching--or had reached--this maximo possent (highest possible) level. I trust that you are not like Alexander the Great: weeping, having no more worlds left to conquer :wink:

This gives me the segue to ask a question that has been buzzing around in my head like a cerebral mosquito--content to land and remain quiet on a spot until an idea zips by, penetrating its comfort zone and causing it to buzz and whirl, crashing into half-formed thoughts to the point of distraction: What are the status levels in the Alpha Agora, and the requirements for each?

In over a year I haven't found anything remotely resembling a link to this information, yet others seem to know it.
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

Philip Hudson
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Philip Hudson » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:19 am

The "status levels" on the Alpha are simply a matter of how many postings you submit. I think I am a Grand Panjandrum because I have too much time on my hands.

It is something like being made a senior member of the technical staff at a big electronics company. You get a plaque and the title but no raise in pay and nobody notices. Charlie Brown remarked that getting such an award is sort of like wetting your dark trousers. You get a warm feeling but nobody notices.

With a title like Grand Panjandrum, I can go into one of those high faultin’ coffee shops and get a latte (whatever that is) for about five dollars. The price is just a guess. I don't frequent that kind of place. We make our own coffee at home.
It is dark at night, but the Sun will come up and then we can see.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:00 am

I see the Grand Panjandrum status in a more positive light, and I suspect Philip does too despite his efforts to present himself as an unrepentant curmudgeon. Hey, real men don't drink latte, right Philip? Just the black, bitter dregs of coffee boiled over a campfire by trail-weary cowboys. Ahhhhh, that's the stuff! Real java! None of that wimpish wash sipped by pinkie-extending snobs in Starbucks. Why a real man...but never mind. I do run on....

Back to Grand Panjandrums, I am delighted and humbled to join their august ranks. It's a monument to perseverance at the very least. Every day I learn something new from all of you on the forum while (I hope) contributing something myself. Anyway, real men don't slobber over these things, do they. No, they deflect. Sure do like my new GP pocket watch. Think I'll print out the picture and frame it.

David McWethy
Lexiterian

Postby David McWethy » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:33 am

AHA!! There's one apparent requirement, right there: The ability--which gailr has recently demonstrated, to remove all doubt--to post a link to an off-site image!

When I've tried, by entering IMG and pasting the URL of the photobucket pic between the ] and the [, what Preview shows is along the lines of [img]photobucket/dkfjgjv89s0spedkd8kj[/img] instead of the desired .jpg image.

And trying to upload directly from my computer. I get a distinction without a difference: [img]Desktop/MyPix%/2013/MISCELLANEOUS/FUNNIES/PURRRFECT.JPG[/img] instead of the .jpg image found at that spot.

In short. "...[I've] come a long way from St.Louis but...[I've] still got a long way to go!"
"The time has come," the Walrus said, "to talk of many things...."

LukeJavan8
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby LukeJavan8 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:42 pm

I'm shocked, shocked that Slava would so blatantly comment on Perry's sexual orientation. If Perry comes out, that's his business. :shock: :)

Nothing personal, MTC, but I get castigated if I make personal
comments, careful here.
-----please, draw me a sheep-----

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

Nothing personal, MTC, but I get castigated if I make personal
comments, careful here.
Well, I can see that double-entendre was poorly received. :oops:

Though it's been mis-quoted, I've edited it.
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:48 pm

You've set the record "straight."

Perry Lassiter
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Perry Lassiter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:01 pm

As anyone who has been reading my posts must know by now, I am only amused at becoming a GP2! One requirement is humility.

I am but an egg...
pl

MTC
Grand Panjandrum

Postby MTC » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:25 pm

But "a good egg."

Return to “Good Word Discussion”