Logorrhea

Use this forum to discuss past Good Words.
Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Logorrhea

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:08 pm

• logorrhea •

Pronunciation: lah- or lo-gê-ree-ê • Hear it!

Part of Speech: Noun, mass (no plural)

Meaning: Excessively wordy, incoherent speech, a storm of gibberish, possibly the result of mental instability.

Notes: Although this word means about the same as "excessive wordiness", its rhyme with diarrhea adds to it a pejorative vividness. In fact, the phrase "verbal diarrhea" is often used when this word would be more discreet and impressive. Remember to double the R in this and all other words with this root referring to a flow. Outside the US you are allowed to spell this word logorrhoea. You have your choice of adjectives: logorrheal or logorrhetic.

In Play: When wordiness just isn't quite enough, this word is what you need: "When Donny Brooke saw his daughter's new eyebrow rings with matching lip rings, he went from silence to sputtering logorrhea in fewer than five seconds." Notice the pejorative implication here: Donny was not uttering flattering niceties. Radio and TV run on logorrhea: "Lacie McBride seems to enjoy the ceaseless logorrhea of the talk shows on radio and TV."

Word History: This word is a compound made up of Greek logos "word, idea" + rhe-in "to flow, run". Logos goes back to a Proto-Indo-European root log-/leg- that is also behind the roots of lexical (lex = leg-s-), as well as legislate and legal. The semantic connection between the senses of "word" and "law" apparently comes from an era when the word of the king was the law. Greek rhein "to flow" comes from the root sreu- originally began with a Fickle S that was lost in Greek. In the Germanic languages, however, the S remained, and picked up a T producing German Strom and English stream.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

misterdoe
Senior Lexiterian

Re: Logorrhea

Postby misterdoe » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:22 am

So I guess logorrhea means having a runny mouth. :oops:

Stargzer
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Stargzer » Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:31 pm

In the old days we would describe some people as having constipation of thought and diarrhea of the mouth.
Regards//Larry

"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them."
-- Attributed to Richard Henry Lee

George Kovac
Lexiterian

Postby George Kovac » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:44 pm

Aha, another mot juste that begs for wider usage!

A political operative famously advised “You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that, it's an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before.”

Well, I’m a vocabulary guy, not a policy guy, and so I have identified in the current political crisis numerous opportunities to expand the stockpile of Good Words we could be using, and I have been promoting them on this site. As my mother always told me, “If you can’t say anything nice, at least say it nicely.” Today I encountered “logorrhea” in a published description of a colloquy between a committee member and an expert witness in a congressional hearing
"Language is rooted in context, which is another way of saying language is driven by memory." Natalia Sylvester, New York Times 4/13/2024

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:16 am

I guess verborrhea is a good synonym. Found 5,190 occurrences with Google search.

Dr. Goodword
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Goodword » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:04 pm

I love the idea of thought constipation of thought and speech logorrhea. Verborrhea mixes a Latin and Greek--not as good as logorrhea.
• The Good Dr. Goodword

tkowal
Lexiterian

Postby tkowal » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:21 am

Verborrhea mixes a Latin and Greek--not as good as logorrhea.
I agree; see for instance this. However there are lots of such mixed words; see here.

Slava
Great Grand Panjandrum

Postby Slava » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:04 am

Can logorrhea refer to the written word, and thus to "social" media? Or do we need to speak of Twitterrhea? :shock:

Or would it be better to stick with "purveyors of Twitter twaddle"?
Life is like playing chess with chessmen who each have thoughts and feelings and motives of their own.

Return to “Good Word Discussion”